• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DD Rifle devaluation from spray painting

Unless your last name is Picasso then expect to take a hit on your Rust-Oleumed up modern sporting device. Just get an airsoft AR if you really have to LARP it up that bad anyway. Ask yourself why R. Lee Ermey didn't paint no damn rifle. (*Answer: it's ghey!)

I didn’t know AR’s were collectible firearms.
I thought they were the Jeeps of the gun world, not the corvettes lol.
I have some collectible guns where bluing or wood condition matter...but no AR’s I would consider collectible or where I worry about appearance more than its functionality.
I gave my son the Knights and he shoots the hell out of it. My BCM is my go-to.
I guess the Christensen Arms V-TAC 15 might be rare enough to consider collectible but it’s too much fun to shoot to treat it that way.

I think that a high-end AR like a Daniels Defense would take a hit and lose a couple hundred dollars in value for having a homemade spray paint job.

That being said I agree that guns are utilitarian tools and I don't mind using painted guns or painting guns myself.

I painted an AK-47 with a blue and white Smurf motif.

When I did some work on the sporterized 1903-A3 Springfield, I touched up the bad spots with flat black spray paint.

Ditto for a Ruger 10/22 that I chopped the barrel on, and modified the stock down to a much skinnier, thinner profile suitable for an eight-year-old kid. The modified metal parts got black spray paint and all the wood got refinished with Minwax stain.

Back
Top Bottom