• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dead Air Armament Wolf 9SD RANT

USMC033run

Default rank <4000 posts
Gunner of 2nd CivDiv Ret.
36   0
Reaction score
Well... Today I finally decided to pull the trigger on a dedicated 9mm subgun suppressor. I liked the modularity of the Wolf 9SD. I ended up getting the can for one heck of a steal! Even cheaper than I would've paid for that of the Silencerco Omega 9k. I was just curious to see if anyone out there in the Class III & NFA discussions has any specific use with the wolf 9SD? Now onto the dreaded hurry up and wait times for ATF approval. Looks I will be visiting my baby in silencer jail later next week. I'll post pics once she arrives.

Where did you get it from? What’s the rant? Dead Air seems to be a solid company and the Wolf looks good but I don’t have any experience with it

Where did you get it from? What’s the rant? Dead Air seems to be a solid company and the Wolf looks good but I don’t have any experience with it

Dead Air is a GREAT company... I only merely meant rant in the context of me rambling on and looking for some feedback from a user with the same platform.

You said rant, so I thought I'd help by adding my wall of text:
They're awesome cans. Have run one on my MPX for our USARMS rifle competition and thoroughly enjoy it. I ended up letting a family member on the trust take it, so I'm currently waiting on another from DA(backlog of form 3s sadly). At least I'll get conjugal visits for matches, range trips and such. Hilariously quiet in full config.

Some friends and I did a sort of "testing day" when our Dead Air rep brought some fun toys to the shop. Ran factory 158gr, factory 147, factory 115 and handload 147 (2.9gr titegroup under berry's 147) through the wolf in short config, Omega 9k and an SRD45(not that it's a competitor, just happened to have it handy on a gun already). It was all done on a 4.5" barrel MPX, trilug for Wolf and 9k(newer style trilug mount), piston w/ collar for SRD45. All the cans were filthy - each with well over 6k since any sort of cleaning. We didn't have a meter, but it wouldn't have mattered much because we're an indoor range.

The 9k had the least first round pop by a good amount. You can really tell the difference in internal volume. Subsequent shots had a bit higher pitch compared to the other cans, but was still well within comfortable levels on the factory 147 and 158. The handload 147 was just hilariously quiet. For all the cans 115 was probably hearing safe but not comfortable, especially indoors.

Wolf had the most FRP, a bit surprisingly(we all guessed the SRD would have the most). But after the first shot it settled in to a much deeper tone than the 9k. Subsequent shots with the Wolf were noticeably quieter than the 9k and just a bit quieter than the SRD45, which is impressive given the significant size difference.

The SRD was just used as a control to measure the other 2 against on a separate MPX(only had one trilug mpx available). It performed really well given it's much longer and skinnier body than the other 2. It was absolutely put to shame when we put the Wolf in long configuration. To say that the Wolf-9 in long config was the quietest wouldn't convey how big the difference was. Hollywood quiet is how multiple people in the range described it with handloads.

How much did you get it for?

It was $629.00... Obviously not included is the BS Mandatory $200.00 tax stamp and FFL to FFL transfer shipping fee (understandable). Still under a grand either way you look at it for a phenomenal subgun tri lug suppressor.

How did you decide on the Wolf 9SD specifically for a smg? Which smg will you be using it on?

I will be using my MP5 and other MP5 variants in tri-lug configuration. I decided on the Wolf 9SD because of its modularity. I can run it in both short and long configuration.

Back
Top Bottom