• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dealing with DirecTV was never fun, but post AT&T merger...

...it's like getting hit with a mallet in the forehead every time you call. Not just bad, but Monty Python meets Brazil bad. Trips to the dentist are preferable to interacting with AT&T.

They wasted about 10 hours of my time over the last week. Each attempt to solve "my" problem, which was entirely AT&T system issues and policy changes causing service nightmares, made the situation worse. Their last (slapstick comedy) attempt to help me knocked out my receivers entirely, until the next available tech can be here: Five days from now! They literally couldn't send a "wake up/refresh" signal to my receivers, which were working fine this morning, before the idiots in customer screwed up. It's not that they can't fix it because it's technically impossible, but because of AT&T "system policy" issues.

After 20+ years (!), I finally fired them. DISH will be here Sunday morning for a new install.

Will miss NFL Sunday Ticket (only reason I endured the abuse for so long).
Sonbitches charged my card after I cancelled my account. Then dinged my credit for a return fee, when they freely admitted that I didn’t even owe them any money.
Finally ate the fee to keep my credit clear. Never again Direct or ATT

...it's like getting hit with a mallet in the forehead every time you call. Not just bad, but Monty Python meets Brazil bad. Trips to the dentist are preferable to interacting with AT&T.

They wasted about 10 hours of my time over the last week. Each attempt to solve "my" problem, which was entirely AT&T system issues and policy changes causing service nightmares, made the situation worse. Their last (slapstick comedy) attempt to help me knocked out my receivers entirely, until the next available tech can be here: Five days from now! They literally couldn't send a "wake up/refresh" signal to my receivers, which were working fine this morning, before the idiots in customer screwed up. It's not that they can't fix it because it's technically impossible, but because of AT&T "system policy" issues.

After 20+ years (!), I finally fired them. DISH will be here Sunday morning for a new install.

Will miss NFL Sunday Ticket (only reason I endured the abuse for so long).

AT&T sucks. I never liked them. I remember them being the only phone service in Desert Shield and they were gouging the Prices for guys who messed there families. I still bring this topic up to them when they call me with new promotions.

Update on this: After closing my account last night at about 7pm, at 4am this morning I got an AT&T email, notifying me of a new installation appointment, and my 24 month contractual commitment with the new equipment I'll be receiving.

You can't make this stuff up.

So I get on the AT&T web site chat this morning, confirm my account is closed, and ask that they email me a UPS shipping label so I can return their equipment. This was supposed to be emailed to me last night. Still hasn't arrived.

Update on this: After closing my account last night at about 7pm, at 4am this morning I got an AT&T email, notifying me of a new installation appointment, and my 24 month contractual commitment with the new equipment I'll be receiving.

So I get on the AT&T web site chat this morning, confirm my account is closed, and ask that they email me a UPS shipping label so I can return their equipment. This was supposed to be emailed to me last night. Still hasn't arrived.
Probably won’t be either, took me about 6mos to finally get my package. Tried to charge me for that as well. Damn them

I told Direct after 11 yrs to stick it up their Tookus! I went to Dish since that is the only other choice..Between multiple company's that use the Philippines for their customer service..I was tired of not talking to a supervisor over a trivial remote, and that they wanted to charge me for one...I'm trying to wrap my head around the reasoning, I rent their equipment to watch what they offer..And pay for that..Equipment failure and they want to charge me to replace it, so I can continue paying them for their service...?????? I said stick it and come pick up your crap....Right then I was instructed to take it to UPS and they knew exactly what to do..So I did, boxes remotes and all...I did not know so many were turning them in, UPS worker scanned the bar codes on the back and gave me a receipt, Done. Just got a phone call from Direct after 5 months, trying to bribe me to come back...

Dinky....the bribes got up to $300 on a gift card. I told them they had had their chance, and now I was done with them. BTW...the ******* DirecTV dish is still on my roof, been about 2-3 years now since I dropped them.

The saga continues...

AT&T charged my credit card $538 for the upgrade that they totally flubbed. I am now in an hour long conversation, talking to the sixth rep in this call, who is trying, through a bad overseas call connection, to explain to me how I might possibly owe them money.

It's so bad, it's tragic.

My new subdivision... the builder forgot to have them run cable or fiber. So 5 years later now that all the homes are built and sold, none of the providers want to run wires, say it is too expensive for only 75 homes... So all we have is satellite or copper line DSL through ATT U-Verse. That's it for internet. No options and no plans to run new lines in here, I have been trying for 5 years...

We have both cable and fiber up to our entrance, and every subdivision that we back up to has fiber or cable, but they will not run it in here.

So one day we say, well, maybe if we ditch U-Verse for TV and switch back to DirecTV it will free up bandwidth for the uverse internet. We go to the store, schedule the install, and 3 weeks later the tech comes out to switch us over.

He hooks it all up and tries to initialize it and they canceled the install. He calls to find out why and they said there is a past due on the account. I get on the phone and call BS and pull up my bank records and show the final payment made like 2 years prior. They say they can't see that since not all the records came over in the merger... I ask them if they have anything that documents that I owe the $300, and they say no, the system just says that I do...

At this point the tech is standing there wondering what to do... So I tell the person on the phone, "Hey, if I just pay this right now with my debit card, can he finish the install and then I can call back and dispute this and get my money back tomorrow?"

They say sure. I pay it, the money is taken out of my account in like 15 seconds, and they tell me I have to not only reschedule the install, but because it was less than 2 years since we left, we don't qualify for any promotions, so we have to purchase the equipment first.

So the tech leaves and the next day my wife and I spent a combined 8 hours on the phone and I finally got a manager who had access to more information and he said that I was right, we returned the old equipment and that I should never have had to re-pay that $300 from the day prior and that they would refund to my debit card.

That was in Sept of 2017. Every time I have called them, they said the credit is processing and will be mailed out to me in a check in the next 5-10 business days...

It's been 15 MONTHS now, no refund, and no service.

It's been 15 MONTHS now, no refund, and no service.

Sorry for your pain, and I feel it. That sounds exactly right. These guys make Alice in Wonderland look like an exercise in rationalism.

First thing I did when I saw the charge was call my credit card vendor and dispute it. The rep said, "We always recommend you try to work it out with the vendor; you may get your money faster." I laughed, said that could only happen in an alternate universe. So the charge is in dispute.

My phone call with AT&T ended after nearly two hours and seven reps. Got most of an explanation, and another phone number to call to finish the dispute.

These guys have a very poor grasp of how bad the market comeuppance is going to be when it fully manifests. I'm guessing they'll lose billions for the abuse they've handed out to customers over the years. T-Mobile is on a warpath to right some of these wrongs, with their purchase of a local cable company and Sprint. Hope it works. We need alternatives.

Got a collections agency trying to collect money owed to Att. I never received a bill or any other kind of notice from ATT. They finely dinged my credit. Been on the phone for hours with AT&t. They say my account is in good standing. I KNOW!!!! just trying to get documentation of that so I can dispute with the credit agencies. It can not be done

Back
Top Bottom