• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decisions Decisions

Leave the Kimbers alone. Show pieces are all they are for the money. Stick with the Colt. Now a lot of companies are making great 1911's. Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Remington, Sig and a few others that are really worth taking a look at. If you want to go big money then look at Wilson Combat.
My best friend got caught up in the Kimber vacuum. Then he got his hands on a Springfield A1 Loaded and saw the light. Cost vs. performance aspect of the 1911 platform.

If you are buying one of the two guns for collecting, occasional shooting, etc then the 1911 is an American icon that every serious collector should own.

For EDC I don't like SAO, so a 1911 will never serve that role for me. Just my personal carry preference, but I have never fired a handgun that points more naturally or shoots better than 1911. If you are comfortable carrying a SAO handgun, cocked and locked, more power to you. Lots of people do.

In the end you will have to get what you like. You don't want to get something and regret it the next day.

Because I'm more of an accumulator than a collector, that's how I see it. If I was buying the gun to carry, I would choose the Sig... For collecting, range time, BBQ, I choose the 1911.

I have RIA (too cheap to pass up at $350), 2 Kimbers, AAC Remi R1, and 2 Dan Wessons. My Dan Wesson Guardian 9 is the gun I grab most of the time. It's not cheap; but it is oh so nice. I would suggest you go into a large Gun Store and handle a bunch of them and see what you like if you are considering a 1911. You will quickly find what you like and then can start your search.

Two very different hand guns, so hard to say without knowing what you're looking for. I love my Sigs (229 Legion .357 and 239 SAS Gen2 .357) and they do make some really nice 1911s. I have the STX and its not only a tack driver, but purrty to look at.

Attachments

• SigSTX.jpg
    SigSTX.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 12
I just go this in the mail. I was bored with my handguns and saw this and thought I would give it a try since this particular 1911 didn't have a rail for a light. Typically I don't like my 1911's with a built in rail so I got this to hang a light off of. I had my doubts about it I ordered it any way.

It actually feels great in the hands and the front of the trigger guard is knurled and has a little bump at the bottom to put pressure on with my left index finger. This will help with recoil management immensely. I will shoot it while with it on and probably take it off. However, for now it's like having a new gun to play with.

By the way this is my Smith and Wesson E-Series. I like the scaled charging serrations. A little different than the usual straight vertical ones.

I know, I know it sacrilege but it's only four screws and can be taken off in 5 minutes but for now I kind of like it. I know will help with follow up shots with just the way it allows a solid purchase on the gun. Plus I get to hang a light off of it.

I just put it on 20 minutes ago.

Attachments

• 20170426_134737.jpg
    20170426_134737.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170426_134837.jpg
    20170426_134837.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom