• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decisions!!

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a .22 rifle for my girlfriend and am kinda on the fence on which direction to go. She really likes shooting my AR with a .22 conversion bolt so I think its time for her own rifle.

The issue is I have also been looking to build an AR soon and thought this would be a good way to get that going AND get a rifle for her. Two birds, one stone, etc. So I think my options are:

- Get her a 10/22 and let her shoot that for a bit, then sit down and work out if she wants an AR type rifle and if so, what kind ($)

- Get over it and buy her an M&P 15-22 or a GSG-5 right off the bat ($$)

- Buy a stripped AR lower and build it, then let her pick out a dedicated .22 upper or a .223 upper with a conversion ($$$)

- Build an AR how I want and let her shoot it (:D)

Sucky thing is I was planning to build an A2 configuration rifle on the cheap and I dont think thats something she would really be in to. Im sure she would rather have an M4 style rifle. So, I will end up building two rifles in the end, but I only really have the funds for one.

Now I don't really need two conversion kits, we could swap that between rifles easily and it would be fine, so option 3 could be a little bit cheaper.

I am really leaning towards getting her a 15-22 and calling it a day. Any advice? This is the first girlfriend I have ever had that liked shooting so you guys with wives and girlfriends that are in to guns and what not I need your help!

Id go the 10-22 route, saves you money and time and she'll likely have hours of fun with it and not even really want an AR afterwards, im betting the almost no recoil is what is giving her the pleasure of shooting the 22lr, not necessarily the rifle....then if she still wants an AR, i'd build one, but at least you would still have a 10/22 in the stable and it didnt break the bank either...if not, u can ALWAYS get your money back spent on a 10/22.

Id go the 10-22 route, saves you money and time and she'll likely have hours of fun with it and not even really want an AR afterwards, im betting the almost no recoil is what is giving her the pleasure of shooting the 22lr, not necessarily the rifle....then if she still wants an AR, i'd build one, but at least you would still have a 10/22 in the stable and it didnt break the bank either...if not, u can ALWAYS get your money back spent on a 10/22.

Good advice, the more I think about it the more this makes sense. I dont have a 10/22 either so might as well get one and say its hers haha.

Option C = Buy GF the 10/22....save $$ on ammo.....put that towards a ring.....marry said GF.....justify 50+ years of buying yourself guns because you bought her one before you were married.

Noooooooo option C!

Get over it and buy her an M&P 15-22

My 2 cents.

I was in the same predicament about a month ago. Went through 2 10/22's, one stock, one custom (bull barrel, tac stock, and glass), a Marlin Model 60, Mini 14 ranch, moved on to bolt action 77/22 first with glass then with irons, Chipmunk single shot, and then finally the 15-22. It's stock, the better half loves it. If your girl is already comfortable shooting the AR platform I say go with that...now if you are looking to be selfish build a dedicated...:cool:

My 2 cents.

I was in the same predicament about a month ago. Went through 2 10/22's, one stock, one custom (bull barrel, tac stock, and glass), a Marlin Model 60, Mini 14 ranch, moved on to bolt action 77/22 first with glass then with irons, Chipmunk single shot, and then finally the 15-22. It's stock, the better half loves it. If your girl is already comfortable shooting the AR platform I say go with that...now if you are looking to be selfish build a dedicated...:cool:

Thats what Im worried about kinda, that she will be like me and want something new every 5 minutes lol. Was reallllly close to coming home with a Remington 597 this past weekend but decided to sleep on it, and now Im all mixed up! Thanks for the insight mang.

Thats what Im worried about kinda, that she will be like me and want something new every 5 minutes lol. Was reallllly close to coming home with a Remington 597 this past weekend but decided to sleep on it, and now Im all mixed up! Thanks for the insight mang.

Yeah this happens...I'm picking up a Walther G22 this weekend and got a SIG Mosquito last weekend...neither were my idea.:eek:

Ended up going with a stainless 10/22 and she loved it! Havent seen her this excited since...well this excited about guns in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom