• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decocking a 1911

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
What are your opinions on deocking on a live round, unloading before decocking, releasing the trigger before 1/2 cock, etc etc etc. I know we have a lot of 1911 shooters here and I am really just looking for personal opinions, as we all know the safest way to decock a 1911 is dry firing on an empty chamber. So, fire away :)

If you must, and I don't know why you would on a live round, after making sure your muzzle is pointed in a safe direction I would bring my left hand over the top of the weapon and FIRMLY pinch the hammer between thumb and forefinger, squeeze trigger and lower it manually with said fingers.

This way if you were to slip and it fired, your fingers would get moved to the rear in a more natural nature when the slide hits them as opposed to trying to do it with just your thumb and getting it broken and/or your thumb joint getting hurt if an AD happened.

Again, I don't understand the need to do what you're asking but thats my opinion on how to do it.

That's why it has a safety. IMO, if a 1911 is chambered, safety should be activated and hammer retained.

Last edited:
Dont do it??? What is the purpose of the question? Not trying to be a smart arse,,,just wondering?

Like the others said, what would necessitate the decocking of a live round.

A 1911 us supposed to be cocked....:)

If you dont believe in a cocked and locked 1911 and have found yourself holding a cocked 1911 then follow these actions...... drop the mag, rack the slide to unchamber the live round and then decock.

Last edited:
Well you see I saw it in this movie once....

No but really, was just curious what everyone thought. Some people say the half-cock notch is there for a reason, other people say follow the original manual of arms and thats the end of it. Was wondering what camp yall were in.

Condition 2:

"Condition 2
Magazine full / Round in the chamber / Hammer down / Manual safety "Off".
In this condition, the manual safety cannot be engaged. The pistol will fire
when gripped in the hand, the hammer is cocked, and the trigger is pulled."

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/1911manual.pdf

How ya rekkin ya get THERE unless you "decock" it?

I de-cocked my 1911 all of the time and have not yet a ND or AD from doing so. I follow the same course of action I do on my exposed hammer trap guns. Pull it to past full cock with Shooting hand and pull the trigger and slowly let the hammer down. I fired my 20 g. once that way and smashed my thumb in the recoil. Since then I have yet to see a dented primer or had another accidental. My hammer lock rides on the side of my 1911 facing my hip and I feel safer having the hammer down and I am just as fast pulling the hammer back while the gun is coming up as I am sliding the hammer stop down. Just personal preference yet no one has given a real reason it should not be carried hammer down.

I choose to not worry about it by carrying a glock with a round chambered and the Glock is just a better platform my carry round any ways.

I agree that there jus no good reason to decoct a 1911 with a live round. But the way I was taught to decock any pistol with a hammer is to put a finger in front of the hammer and pinch it to lower it down. That way if it slips it will hit your finger but not fire the round. But IMHO if your not comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked the. You shouldn't be carrying a 1911

Back
Top Bottom