• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decocking a 1911

According to Taurus, condition 1 is most dangerous, 2 is less and 3 is least. Seriously, check out the link, last page of the pdf.
"Safety First":

2. If you must carry a carry a Taurus smi-automatic pistol with a cartridge in the chamber ALWAYS lower the hammer..."

Safety First:

3. When uncocking the hammer, always EASE the hammer down..."

I guess somebody needs to write Taurus and straighten them out.

LOL

Taurus puts that for liability reasons. 1911s were intended to be carried loaded chamber hammer back safety on

the guns safety was designed for cond 1. only way it works. without the safety engaged with the hammer down on a live round, really. if you drop that weapon you'll find out. can't believe taurus reccomends that. just google 1911 cary. you won't find anyone else that does.

Dont do it??? What is the purpose of the question? Not trying to be a smart arse,,,just wondering?

Like the others said, what would necessitate the decocking of a live round.

A 1911 us supposed to be cocked....:)

If you dont believe in a cocked and locked 1911 and have found yourself holding a cocked 1911 then follow these actions...... drop the mag, rack the slide to unchamber the live round and then decock.

THIS!

According to Taurus, condition 1 is most dangerous, 2 is less and 3 is least. Seriously, check out the link, last page of the pdf.
"Safety First":

2. If you must carry a carry a Taurus smi-automatic pistol with a cartridge in the chamber ALWAYS lower the hammer..."

Safety First:

3. When uncocking the hammer, always EASE the hammer down..."

I guess somebody needs to write Taurus and straighten them out.

LOL

Taurus 1911's are series 80 (I think), meaning they have a firing pin block that is not disengaged unless the trigger is depressed. This way, if it is dropped, it wont go off. However, series 70's don't have this feature, and if dropped on a decocked hammer, you better believe it's gonna go off.

Taurus 1911's are series 80 (I think), meaning they have a firing pin block that is not disengaged unless the trigger is depressed. This way, if it is dropped, it wont go off. However, series 70's don't have this feature, and if dropped on a decocked hammer, you better believe it's gonna go off.
You are correct, sir.

Back
Top Bottom