• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decocking a 1911

1911's have to be the safest gun to carry with 3 real safeties! 1. the trigger- don't pull it and it won't go off. 2. grip safety- even if something snags the trigger, the grip safety also has to be depressed. 3. manual safety- the safety lever has to be manually disengaged.

If you need more safeties than that, you're doing it wrong.

Rockriver is correct. Taurus implements a Series 80 type design (it's not a Series 80, Colt makes them). It has a firing pin block system that prevents ADs. Standard GI Series 1911s that do not have firing pin block systems should not be carry hammer down or "half cocked." That "half cocked" notch is part of the 1911 safety system. When the weapon is in Condition 1, should the safety fail (for what ever reason) and the hammer fall, the pressure of the spring against the sear should cause the sear to catch the hammer on the "Half Cock" notch preventing an AD. If you you have the hammer resting on the "half cock" notch while you are carrying it, then you loose one of the preventive provisions of the weapon.

Luke

Decocking a 1911.

Don't do it.

2.bp.blogspot.com__LIl5ocv_aso_S47eoKblYTI_AAAAAAAAAaU_VgmKB3AuOKU_s320_images45_hole3.jpg

Nasty, I sure hope that ain't your foot! That pic should close the thread cuz that will eventually be the outcome (or worse, Lord forbid) if someone decocks a 1911 enough.

I own a Taurus 1911 and love it dearly.
I carry 8+1 all day long. always hammer back and safety on.

Carrying it any other way gives you a false sense of security.
Never hammer down on a loaded chamber.

Always carry as if you will need to use it later in the day.

My 2 or maybe 3 cents worth
Hawk-eye

I carried a 1911 for a while. I always just rode the hammer down very very slow with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Once it was all the way down I would click it to half cock.

I'm genuinely curious of the mindset behind having the gun at half cock? Instead of a condition 3 where you have the entire slide to cycle, you're chasing a small hammer to be cocked back.. thus making it harder to get the pistol into action. On top of that, you've got the accident in waiting by releasing the hammer with the trigger and trying to stop the firearm's proper cycle of operation as opposed to a proper decocker.

And for common knowledge, the half cock position is to keep the gun from going full-auto in the event of a sear/hammer engagement failing.

Back
Top Bottom