• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decocking a 1911

Will someone please explain the technical reason that carrying a chambered 1911 with the hammer down is dangerous?

Because prior to Series 80's, if the weapon were to be dropped, especially hitting muzzle first, it could potentially fire.

I'm still new to the 1911. Just got mine recently. I carry it condition 1. I see no reason to carry it if not. I definitely won't be letting the hammer down with a round in the chamber unless it's to fire the weapon.

Like mentioned, if I am letting the hammer down it's after dropping the mag and pulling the slide back to remove the round in the gun. I eat too many greasy french fries to trust pinching that hammer and lowering it. It could easily slip out of your fingers no matter how careful you are. I see no reason to try it.

Because prior to Series 80's, if the weapon were to be dropped, especially hitting muzzle first, it could potentially fire.
I got that from the others, but what is it technically that makes it so dangerous. Dropping is not technical, it is an accident. I am not that familiar with the technicals of the 1911 and am curious what makes it dangerous to when the hammer is down.

I got that from the others, but what is it technically that makes it so dangerous. Dropping is not technical, it is an accident. I am not that familiar with the technicals of the 1911 and am curious what makes it dangerous to when the hammer is down.

Technically, an accident could be very dangerous.

I'm genuinely curious of the mindset behind having the gun at half cock? Instead of a condition 3 where you have the entire slide to cycle, you're chasing a small hammer to be cocked back.. thus making it harder to get the pistol into action. On top of that, you've got the accident in waiting by releasing the hammer with the trigger and trying to stop the firearm's proper cycle of operation as opposed to a proper decocker.

And for common knowledge, the half cock position is to keep the gun from going full-auto in the event of a sear/hammer engagement failing.

The half cock locks the hammer and trigger. Its not that hard to get it in action if you practice. I must have decocked the 1911 1,000 times. Never had a problem.

I know very little about 1911's but I have handled them, so what would be the problem with NOT carrying the gun with the hammer cocked? I mean, wouldn't that just make the first trigger pull a bit longer? Do you guys seriously think your life hangs on that fine of a balance where you wold lose your life because you didn't have the hammer already cocked back yet you had to disengage a safety? Forgive me for saying so, but that makes absolutely no sense.

I know very little about 1911's but I have handled them, so what would be the problem with NOT carrying the gun with the hammer cocked? I mean, wouldn't that just make the first trigger pull a bit longer? Do you guys seriously think your life hangs on that fine of a balance where you wold lose your life because you didn't have the hammer already cocked back yet you had to disengage a safety? Forgive me for saying so, but that makes absolutely no sense.

A true 1911 is Single Action.

1911s are single action pistols. There is no cocking of the hammer by pulling the trigger. The simple, single action results in a short travel that can be tuned to be very nice.

The half cock locks the hammer and trigger. Its not that hard to get it in action if you practice. I must have decocked the 1911 1,000 times. Never had a problem.

But what are the advantages or reasons for doing so? You have two manual safeties already that lock the slide, sear and trigger.

I don't buy the it's safer argument. You are relying on a little shelf on the hammer that was not meant to be used as being described. In addition, you are in essence firing the gun with your finger in the way to decock it. Even if you had a Series 80 gun, pulling the trigger deactivates the firing pin safety... which results in a bang if you slip.

1911s are single action pistols. There is no cocking of the hammer by pulling the trigger. The simple, single action results in a short travel that can be tuned to be very nice.

But what are the advantages or reasons for doing so? You have two manual safeties already that lock the slide, sear and trigger.

I don't buy the it's safer argument. You are relying on a little shelf on the hammer that was not meant to be used as being described. In addition, you are in essence firing the gun with your finger in the way to decock it. Even if you had a Series 80 gun, pulling the trigger deactivates the firing pin safety... which results in a bang if you slip.

There are really none. Which is why I dont own nor carry a 1911 anymore. Thats just the way I felt the most comfortable carrying it. Your mileage may very.

A 1911 should be carried cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

Hammer down on a live round presents two ways to wind up with a ND. Either dropping it on the hammer on a non firing pin safety gun or having the hammer slip when you decock.

Also I don't like from a the tactical standpoint that you have to cock to fire. Kind of a way to have a paperweight when you need a gun in a gunfight..................Sliding the thumb safety off is much more natural. Speaking of safeties.....who needs 'em. Team Glock fo' eva foolz. lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom