• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decocking a 1911

A 1911 should be carried cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

Hammer down on a live round presents two ways to wind up with a ND. Either dropping it on the hammer on a non firing pin safety gun or having the hammer slip when you decock.

Also I don't like from a the tactical standpoint that you have to cock to fire. Kind of a way to have a paperweight when you need a gun in a gunfight..................Sliding the thumb safety off is much more natural. Speaking of safeties.....who needs 'em. Team Glock fo' eva foolz. lol.

Quoted for the win. I understand all of the arguments I was just wonder about the technical reasons for not doing so as well. Oh well back to Glock fan boydom.

Well techically the Glock does have safeties. However, in a stroke of brilliance Gaston placed his on the trigger.

The way everyone talks is that if you drop a 1911 it goes boom. I have dropped my glock once out of my hunting shoulder holster and was looking right at the biz end and nothing happened. Glock has more brilliance than just the trigger safety. To each there own when it comes to guns, that is why their are so many.

The way everyone talks is that if you drop a 1911 it goes boom. I have dropped my glock once out of my hunting shoulder holster and was looking right at the biz end and nothing happened. Glock has more brilliance than just the trigger safety. To each there own when it comes to guns, that is why their are so many.

Understanding the mechanics of a weapon is a wonderful thing, as so many have said so many times already, if the Glock is working properly then it is impossible to have an inertia caused AD. By the same token, if a Series 80 styled 1911 is working properly, it is equally impossible to have an inertia caused AD.

Luke

Just be sure not to catch it when it falls lol......

Understanding the mechanics of a weapon is a wonderful thing, as so many have said so many times already, if the Glock is working properly then it is impossible to have an inertia caused AD. By the same token, if a Series 80 styled 1911 is working properly, it is equally impossible to have an inertia caused AD.

Luke

It's the decocking and recocking of a 1911 (not the way it is SUPPOSED to operate) that the issue at hand is about.

Running an extra power firing pin spring alleviates the worries of dropping a non Series 80/90/schwarz/etc type gun.

Quoted for the win. I understand all of the arguments I was just wonder about the technical reasons for not doing so as well. Oh well back to Glock fan boydom.

Apparently alot of people agree that cocked with the safety on is the way to go, but again, what is the technical reason for not carrying with the hammer down? I understand that dropping it could casue it to discharge, but what technically happens that causes the discharge that could not happen if it were cocked?

I heard that carrying a 1911 cocked and locked could cause the round to spin 180 inside the chamber and possibly AD into the carrier's face. Dude that warned me about it just couldn't explain why...

Back
Top Bottom