• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decoy

I figure a decoy might get shot. And if you are in a ground blind, well you might get shot,too. I don't use decoys for anything. On the other hand, I don't use any modern stuff to kill game. Except a grunt call and climber. No scents, cameras, pee bottles.

anyone use a deer decoy? I have used turkey decoys to calm the deer b4

I have thought about using decoys in the past, but I'm cheap and could never convince myself to buy one. Using a turkey decoy is a neat idea and something I have never thought of. I'll have to give that a try since I have that.

I put one out one afternoon last year. I have never heard so many bucks grunting and crashing around as that evening. None popped out of the thick stuff and I don't shoot at shadows so I didn't kill any that day. It was very exciting to hear that much activity all around me.

My lack of success was entirely my fault. I do not do any kind of scent control and probably had the decoy smelling like a human.

I had a doe decoy set up last year. I had a decent 2.5 year old buck stop and stare it down for 20 seconds or so. They can sure stop a deer and buy you some time to get settled on one.
I remember back when I was in high school, a friend and I went to his dad's deer camp near Monticello. On the way someone had made a cutout plywood deer with glowing eyes in a field near a pond. When we were heading home in the daylight you could see that it was full of holes.

I just usually head out mid morning with a rifle, plop down under a tree, nap a bit then wake up and shoot a deer. Carrying all that stuff in the woods is too much work.
I don’t fool with the full sized 3D decoys. Way too much bulk.
My decoy is merely a tri-fold piece of plastic board with a photorealistic deer on both sides. I get it out and set it up when the kids hunt with me. It does a good job at stopping the deer and gives them longer to get settled on them as compared to when I bleat or whistle to stop them. I do this on some well policed private property and it’s set up to where it doesn’t draw gunfire in our direction.

I don’t fool with the full sized 3D decoys. Way too much bulk.
My decoy is merely a tri-fold piece of plastic board with a photorealistic deer on both sides. I get it out and set it up when the kids hunt with me. It does a good job at stopping the deer and gives them longer to get settled on them as compared to when I bleat or whistle to stop them. I do this on some well policed private property and it’s set up to where it doesn’t draw gunfire in our direction.
Do you have a link to this decoy

Back
Top Bottom