• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer activity

I see them regularly and the trail cams are out 365. No noticeable increase here or Banks.
I have seen a couple dead fawns on the side of the road. :( Does are still fat here and Banks. Buck racks are reaching ear tips. I was watching a couple of bucks the other evening that got run off by a coyote. .22 in his chest changed his plans.

I don't know, but they seem to want to come inside my house...

This is Texas, and most fawns have dropped, but I saw a newborn on the 1st. Still wet; could barely walk. Some others are 5-6 weeks old that we know of. The only "bucks" around are yearlings with 2" buds. Zero adult males; I haven't seen one in months. Really since their antlers started dropping. Don't know where they are. Nothing but does, fawns, and yearlings wandering around in the daytime.
DSC00224.JPG

But again, this is Texas. A big deer is about the size of a big German Shepherd. Of limited relevance to Georgia, but they're still fun to watch.

Walked outside this morning on the front porch to see a fawn by itself halfway down my driveway. The little thing started walking towards me crying and came within 20 foot of me sitting down on the steps. It was adorable, every time I would say “hey” to it, it almost sounded like it was saying hey back. It eventually wondered back into the foliage and a few minutes later mom came looking for it. They are making it very hard to hunt on my property.

I've seen more recently as well (alive and dead). Jumped a little baby fawn 2 weeks ago out of a thicket while walking around the pond. Was the cutest little thing.

Deer have been hunkered down for a while here as they don’t need to stray from all the foliage that all around them.
Have seen more activity lately as the mamas are tending their fawns.
Pretty soon mama will have them working point while she browses…..they teach them fast to be watchful.
I usually kick up fawns near fern patches and knee high bush near streams or any type of water.
Wish I had time to sit on stand looking for yotes on the move.

Back
Top Bottom