• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DEER CAMPS

I was in a big club in the late 70’s that had 80 members on 8000 acres at the end of the year we would clean up the camp one year they were 205 empty 1/2 gal liquor bottle (lord Calvert mostly)sitting behind the cooking shed.i was only a teenager then they would call the liquor store and order 5 cases at a time and send me to get them.

Was that Sundown or...damn can't remember...hwy 80 outside Roberta...whiskey & poker games.

Was that Sundown or...damn can't remember...hwy 80 outside Roberta...whiskey & poker games.

No lazy 8 in Jones county,I can’t remember the name of the one you talking about but I went there as a visitor,the one I went to was on Columbus side of Roberta.

Our deer camp consisted of us sleeping on the ground around a fire and hunting all day. Some of the older guys I work with sounded like deer camp for them was an excuse to go hunt, play with guns, and go to an outdoor bar all the while not get yelled at by their wives.

One guy at my job shot a hole through his truck at camp. You can see it in the parking lot at work. Hes also 5’8” and 400lbs and his stand broke and his buddies found him hanging upside down in a harness with the muzzle of his rifle pointing right at his head.

Our deer camp consisted of us sleeping on the ground around a fire and hunting all day. Some of the older guys I work with sounded like deer camp for them was an excuse to go hunt, play with guns, and go to an outdoor bar all the while not get yelled at by their wives.

One guy at my job shot a hole through his truck at camp. You can see it in the parking lot at work. Hes also 5’8” and 400lbs and his stand broke and his buddies found him hanging upside down in a harness with the muzzle of his rifle pointing right at his head.
You just named all my old hunting buddies...

I was able to hunt out of a Deer Camp in western Maine starting in the early 80's. The Camp looked like it came out a Field and Stream magazine. I was able to hunt with a bunch of great guys. They have all passed on. Eventually I bought the Camp and continue to hunt up there. It's not the same -- but I love making coffee in the Camp pot, sit in the "Captains" chair and reminisce....

I was the young guy hunting with 9 "Old Guys". My Dad told me to carry more than my fair share of work. I started out helping the "Captain" and his brother cook for 10 guys. I was the potato mashed, toast turner, table setter, roll maker and dish washer. I eventually worked my way up to cook and took over those duties -- and loved every minute of it....

Season starts November 1st and I can't wait to get back up there. I feel lucky to have experienced an old time Deer Camp as it is quickly disappearing....

JMHO

I was able to hunt out of a Deer Camp in western Maine starting in the early 80's. The Camp looked like it came out a Field and Stream magazine. I was able to hunt with a bunch of great guys. They have all passed on. Eventually I bought the Camp and continue to hunt up there. It's not the same -- but I love making coffee in the Camp pot, sit in the "Captains" chair and reminisce....

I was the young guy hunting with 9 "Old Guys". My Dad told me to carry more than my fair share of work. I started out helping the "Captain" and his brother cook for 10 guys. I was the potato mashed, toast turner, table setter, roll maker and dish washer. I eventually worked my way up to cook and took over those duties -- and loved every minute of it....

Season starts November 1st and I can't wait to get back up there. I feel lucky to have experienced an old time Deer Camp as it is quickly disappearing....

JMHO
How long will we be there November 1st

How long will we be there November 1st
D

JMHO
sounds like my youth… Expect replace for the Southern Tier of New York outside Ithaca… If I could transport myself back in time I would go to our cabin in 1976…

you describe it to a T except drop the dead trees in April and have 2 cords of wood split and keep the fireplace roaring. Istill have the place and the boys love tohunt up there. Nothing like cutting a buck track for miles….
gun season started the third Monday in Nov and lasted 18 days. Shotgun counties only, Slug since buckshot was illegal in NY…

Attachments

• AEF2AE70-98D8-4145-A3C4-C09DD74CCA08.jpeg
    AEF2AE70-98D8-4145-A3C4-C09DD74CCA08.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 88DE9835-DEC0-499A-BC0F-753EFBD69B00.jpeg
    88DE9835-DEC0-499A-BC0F-753EFBD69B00.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 26
Anybody remember the tittie bar in toomsboro ga.it was full of deer hunters on fri and sat night.the 10s in there would make a good 2 in Atlanta

I’m sure some remember cowboy bills and the tittie bar in milledgeville ga.

Back
Top Bottom