• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Feeders in Winter and the Off Season

There's no way in the wild deer will eat too much corn. I believe in what biologists say. Dr. Deer and several from LSU seminars that I attended told us its not an issue. Now if you are up north with nothing for them to eat except snow that may be an issue. I would never pile corn in a pile where it can get wet and rot. That could be an issue. Cwd is a problem in some areas and maybe corn is not a good idea. If I put corn on the ground it will be spread over an area not on a pile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh, they'll eat it of course. And people will consume crack. Doesn't mean either should happen.
There has never been a deer that starved to death in Georgia, ever. (I realize you guys have different winters up there. Please keep them up there. :p :hand: ;) )
But I do like the posts complaining about hogs, coyotes, racoons, etc.... and all the while they've got feeders out.
Here's you sign.....

Oh, I agree with every action comes a potentially unwanted reaction. Just like farmers complaining at the local greasy spoon that the racoons are tearing up their corn fields and then won't let the neighbor kid run his dogs through their woods to kill them off when the season comes in. Not picking a fight, I truly get it!

There's no way in the wild deer will eat too much corn. I believe in what biologists say. Dr. Deer and several from LSU seminars that I attended told us its not an issue. Now if you are up north with nothing for them to eat except snow that may be an issue. I would never pile corn in a pile where it can get wet and rot. That could be an issue. Cwd is a problem in some areas and maybe corn is not a good idea. If I put corn on the ground it will be spread over an area not on a pile.

The rule for me is NEVER put shelled corn on the ground. It will get nasty, and fast. If I put corn on the ground, it's ear corn with the husks still on and usually the stalks to go along with it. It doesn't freeze and it doesn't rot that way. NOTHING worse a than stinky old moldy pile of corn.

We have a couple of deer feeders on the property we hunt; This is the first full year hunting this property. After some research, I've seen that it is not suggested to feed corn into the colder months as deer stomachs adjust to the available food. Though that article seemed to be focused on the northern states. What do y'all typically do with your feeders into the colder months and off-season? Do you feed year-round or is there a cut off date? Also, if you feed in the colder months do you move from corn to a pellet? The bagged pellets seem to be exorbitantly more expensive than corn.
Started back last week! This guy still alive with a few weeks to go.

Attachments

• 0692F350-787F-4719-B93F-8D46391BC1BB.png
    0692F350-787F-4719-B93F-8D46391BC1BB.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 16
I have put whole corn, cracked corn, rice bran, alfalfa pelts, 14% creep feed and 20% horse feed in their own feed tubs free choice to see what the deer wanted. They ate the rice bran first the 14% creep feed second and it was pretty even on consumption after that for what it's worth.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I have put whole corn, cracked corn, rice bran, alfalfa pelts, 14% creep feed and 20% horse feed in their own feed tubs free choice to see what the deer wanted. They ate the rice bran first the 14% creep feed second and it was pretty even on consumption after that for what it's worth.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
No doubt rice bran is a deer magnet. Hardest part is keeping it dry so it doesn't turn to paste.

No doubt rice bran is a deer magnet. Hardest part is keeping it dry so it doesn't turn to paste.
Rice bran is a deer magnet. They will eat it just as much as corn if not more. Rice bran has to be piled up so it will last through a few rains. The outside 1/2 inch will get wet and seal the inside keeping it dry. This works. Once the pile gets low its game over. I never refresh a pile that has gotten wet. I make another one beside it.

Back
Top Bottom