• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with a 223

A poorly placed shot at the vitals could also render a wounded deer to suffer being eaten alive from the hind legs forward by yotes. Just another thought. I shoot a 180 grian 300 win mag, and I still shoot them in the head, but I have plenty of other options if the head does not produce a clear shot or if its a mountable buck.

The heart lung area on a typical deer when broad side is about 12 x 18 inches. The vital area of a head shot is about the size of your fist. A deer also moves it's head around much more than they move their torso. It's much more likely that their head will move just as you pull the trigger and you're shooting at a much smaller target to start with. I'm just saying your more likely to get a humane kill when you're shooting at the pumps.

Im not a big deer hunter by any means...But I do understand physics to some degree...Check this out

Also I found a guy punching thru a 1/4 steel plate with wolf ammo...Could be lying but looks strong enough to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not a big deer hunter by any means...But I do understand physics to some degree...Check this out

Also I found a guy punching thru a 1/4 steel plate with wolf ammo...Could be lying but looks strong enough to me

How a bullet preforms on steel does not translate well to the soft tissues of a deer. The ss109 used in 5.56 NATO would be a terrible deer round because it would not expand at all, thus transfer very little energy as it zipped through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why limit yourself... I like to tailor the round to the game.. If you want to hunt with an AR. Platform why not a 6.8 spc? If you want to just hunt with an AR chambered in 223 then maybe yotes, prarie dogs, ground hogs... just my opinion

Last edited:
Is there any feedback about the Hornady 75 grain TAP round? My son and his buddies in the 1st Stryker Brigade (stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska and currently deployed to Afghanistan) claim this round is the best .223 round there is for hunting and "social work". Has anybody in Georgia tried these yet?

Is there any feedback about the Hornady 75 grain TAP round? My son and his buddies in the 1st Stryker Brigade (stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska and currently deployed to Afghanistan) claim this round is the best .223 round there is for hunting and "social work". Has anybody in Georgia tried these yet?

Look at the pics on the link above your post.

If you need proof that a .223 round will kill something big... go here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=458295

If a 75gr. BTHP will do that to a 300+ pound hog at 150+ yards, I would think that a small Georgia whitetail wouldn't stand a

I will say that it is as accurate of a round as you ill find. I haven't had the chance to put that round on deer or hogs personally... yet. However, I've got a few boxes of it and plan on trying it on what hogs I can find this summer and deer in the fall.

Look at the pics on the link above your post.

I will say that it is as accurate of a round as you ill find. I haven't had the chance to put that round on deer or hogs personally... yet. However, I've got a few boxes of it and plan on trying it on what hogs I can find this summer and deer in the fall.

well hunley, if you go pig huntin and need someone to tag along im there. you know where im at...

Back
Top Bottom