• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with cows

davans

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Airborne Infantry
76   0
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to lease 100 acres to hunt. It is mixed with timber and multiple pastures. 10-15 acre pastures. Does anyone share deer hunting with cows? There are only 14 cows but they have full range. What are the challenges? Mineral licks draw cows. Corn draw cows. I need some insight from those that know.
It’s deer country but with cows.
I need some advise.

On my in-laws land I hunt we have two horses. We had cows but the guy who was leasing took them. They have free range of the entire woods and fields. I put out a camera and block where I thought they wouldn’t go. I was wrong, they destroyed the block and knocked my camera around. I just took it down. That was my experience.

I have an opportunity to lease 100 acres to hunt. It is mixed with timber and multiple pastures. 10-15 acre pastures. Does anyone share deer hunting with cows? There are only 14 cows but they have full range. What are the challenges? Mineral licks draw cows. Corn draw cows. I need some insight from those that know.
It’s deer country but with cows.
I need some advise.

Hell yea... Lay the corn to it all summer, then they get fat and come October wack one of those cows.....

Enter the largest doe contest and take them a monster. JK, I wouldn't hunt from a ladder stand with them as they are big enough to get spooked and know you off a tree or worse. We have cattle next to us where we hunt; but don't know if the deer mix with them.

are the cows being fed by someone each day or just free range on the acreage? Friend use to hunt a dairy and shot a lot of deer.

I used to hunt deer in Burke County with dogs on pasture/woodland. The owner of the cows would move them into one pasture before we went down for the weekend. We then had run of the acreage, save that one pasture. But if yours can't be cordoned off, you better be dang careful. Could be an accident waiting to happen.

We have around 150 head of cows on 300 acres. We have several (5) food plots fenced off, stops the cows, but not the deer.

Grew up shooting deer there, now the leaser does the same. Just gotta know what is cow and what is deer.

Back
Top Bottom