• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with cows

I've hunted dairy farms and the neighboring property to my hunt property has cows. I've never hunted with bait (nor would I) so that was never an issue. Every now and then one would get curious. It was more comical than annoying. Just put your camera on a game trail (more realistic activity than a mineral site anyway) and hunt like you would hunt any other area. Find their travel patterns and hunt. Good luck.

I've hunted dairy farms and the neighboring property to my hunt property has cows. I've never hunted with bait (nor would I) so that was never an issue. Every now and then one would get curious. It was more comical than annoying. Just put your camera on a game trail (more realistic activity than a mineral site anyway) and hunt like you would hunt any other area. Find their travel patterns and hunt. Good luck.
All the game trails I’ve found so far have cow patties on them....
We have just been on the property twice. Signed the lease yesterday. The place is loaded with some of the biggest turkeys I’ve ever seen.
Lots of great places to hunt. We’ll do some scouting and get some cameras out.

All the game trails I’ve found so far have cow patties on them....
We have just been on the property twice. Signed the lease yesterday. The place is loaded with some of the biggest turkeys I’ve ever seen.
Lots of great places to hunt. We’ll do some scouting and get some cameras out.
need any help let me know.Good Luck

In TX they put a feeder in 10’ square wire fence. Keeps anything that can’t jump the fence out. When the feeder broadcasts the corn most of it stays in the fenced in area. You could do the same with Tpost and barb wire unless you need to keep hogs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In TX they put a feeder in 10’ square wire fence. Keeps anything that can’t jump the fence out. When the feeder broadcasts the corn most of it stays in the fenced in area. You could do the same with Tpost and barb wire unless you need to keep hogs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking about doing the same. I’m guessing T post and barbed wire will not keep out hogs? I had a neighbor tell be there were hogs on the property but I’m doubtful.

Well, it wasn’t too bad hunting with the cows.
We started with 14 and by the end of the season there were 22.
There were definitely times that they interfere with the hunt. I never saw deer come out around the cows unless there was some good distance between them. At least a hundred yards. The cows will let you know when a deer enters the pasture. They will all look and stare at the deer.
The bigger problem was not being able to get feeders outs. It was hit and miss on a new to us property with trail cams without feeders or food plots. We never got a good inventory of the deer on the property.
I’m going to see about fencing in a couple of feeders for next year after turkey season.
It’s a nice piece of property 2 miles from the house so I’m going to try to keep it.

Well, it wasn’t too bad hunting with the cows.
We started with 14 and by the end of the season there were 22.
There were definitely times that they interfere with the hunt. I never saw deer come out around the cows unless there was some good distance between them. At least a hundred yards. The cows will let you know when a deer enters the pasture. They will all look and stare at the deer.
The bigger problem was not being able to get feeders outs. It was hit and miss on a new to us property with trail cams without feeders or food plots. We never got a good inventory of the deer on the property.
I’m going to see about fencing in a couple of feeders for next year after turkey season.
It’s a nice piece of property 2 miles from the house so I’m going to try to keep it.
Again, you don't need bait to get an inventory if you put your cameras in the right place.
I will say, the neighboring pasture that is in view of where I hunt 90% of the time used to have horses and no cows. I saw a lot more deer in that pasture when there was only horses. It is somewhat rare now to see them in the same pasture when the cows are there. No clue why. :noidea:

Again, you don't need bait to get an inventory if you put your cameras in the right place.
I will say, the neighboring pasture that is in view of where I hunt 90% of the time used to have horses and no cows. I saw a lot more deer in that pasture when there was only horses. It is somewhat rare now to see them in the same pasture when the cows are there. No clue why. :noidea:
Yeah, I don’t think deer like cows and I’m sure we would see more deer with out them. We got the property late last year and just didn’t have time to scout it much and see patterns before the season started. All of the game trails are cow trails.

Back
Top Bottom