• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer mannerisms

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
As i just sat here watching a young doe she had me wondering some things. I’ve seen a bunch of deer in my life. We all know the white tail going in the air is like a red flag and warning sign for others. But I’ve heard other people say that a flippant twitch if the tail means the coast is clear. As I was watching her she didn’t really seem spooked per say but on high alert. I don’t know if she might of got whiff of me or not. But she was eating nice and calmly then would kind of stomp her front feet down like she was about to bolt or kind of like she was posturing up seeing something. Did it multiple times but never ran off or anything. My question is: what have you heard, seen or know that deer do that are “tail tale” signs of communication with each other or their mannerisms that give certain things away about them? I’ve seen multiple deer look skiddish in food plots like a big serial rapist is on the loose. But have you noticed anything to look for in your years of hunting?

I have seen the stomping that you mention. It appeared to me that means she saw you but wasn't sure what you were and was trying to see if her stomping would get you to move so she could identify.

I have seen the stomping that you mention. It appeared to me that means she saw you but wasn't sure what you were and was trying to see if her stomping would get you to move so she could identify.
That’s a sign of not being ready to breed if you come in here I’m going to stomp your ass

lol. She never saw me at all. I had great cover and she wasn’t looking in a direct path toward me. But I just saw a coyote. So that probably answers my question. I’m always thinking of a deers reaction in regards to myself but not about predators and other thing so atleast that opened my mind up a little

The upright flag (staying up) is full alert and a warning to others that it's time to jettison.
Tail down with head up, ears erect, staring..... followed by a tail flip is the "all clear" and they generally go back to feeding or whatever they were doing before.
The foot stomp serves two purposes, one, warn others and two, call your bluff.
The head bob is due to poor depth perception and part of them trying to zero in on what it is you are.
If a deer is staring at you, ears erect, head bobbing, foot stomping, I'd say there is a 95% chance the gig is up and all you can do at that point is smile. I've lost not all, but the vast majority of those games.

I have seen them stare , stomp and head bob. Sometimes if your well camoflauged enough and dont move they will resume normal behavior

I believe the stomping also releases interdigital scent so the other deer can locate/follow.
I thought I had read that once but was thinking it was my imagination so didn't post it. The reason I was thinking I made it up was I did have a deer stomp at me once in the middle of a clear pasture. Not much later that hunt another deer came out into the pasture meandering around and wound up hitting the exact spot where that previous deer had stomped. When it hit that spot, nose down, it bolted as if shocked. A 'warning scent' left by the stomping action was the only thing that made sense but given the frequency with which they do it, it seems they'd be running helter skelter all the time. :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom