• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer processing

kc30121

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
76   1
Reaction score
So maybe this has been brought up before but I figured I would ask again. I’ve been out of hunting for about 5yrs and got back into it this year. Well my question is l, what is everyone paying for processing these days? Last time I had one done it was $65 plus $20 if you wanted sausage. I dropped one off last night and wow it’s gone up. Just wondered if my guy is high or if that’s what it’s gone up to. My guy is $80 and $25 for sausage. I think that’s still god for what they do but want to know if that’s about normal these days.

That’s in line with what I paid and what I saw posted while I had hanging out at the processor in Montecillo.

On a side note. I would never eat meat from some of the deer I saw dragged in there. I saw a couple deer get drug in with hazed eyes and bloated bellies.

Thanks guys. I figured that was normal. We used to grind our own up but not sure what happened a to the grinder when my grandfather passed away. No one can seem to find it in the barn. I have all his old knifes though. I’m gonna keep my eye open for a good deal(sale) on a good grinder and start doing it again myself.

I picked up some meat from my guy Sat. It was $62. I had the whole deer done into burger and it was 32lbs of meat and cost included him cleaning the deer. My guy charges by the pound, so the adder for sausage depends on how much you get. They should have another ready for me early this week that I did half ground and half sausage. I will let ya know what that runs, but sausage is always expensive. The guy I use doesn't mix meat and you get back the deer you dropped off. Not like some of the other places I have seen where they weigh your deer and you just get back that much meat, not knowing who's it was. I wouldn't use those kinda places.

The processor I use charges $65 for ground and cubed, that includes skinning and gutting. Sausage is priced by pound, but prices vary for type and whether or not you want it smoked. I've been really happy with them and they dont mix your deer with anyone else's. Their sausage is the best I've had and they do a good job wrapping everything. I've have used some processors in the past where every pack of meat was freezer burnt within 6 months.

Thanks guys. I figured that was normal. We used to grind our own up but not sure what happened a to the grinder when my grandfather passed away. No one can seem to find it in the barn. I have all his old knifes though. I’m gonna keep my eye open for a good deal(sale) on a good grinder and start doing it again myself.

Check out Academy, BPS, Northern Tools, or whatever is close. From now till the end of the month, they will be blowing them out the door.

Back
Top Bottom