Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Big Announcement! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Deer processing

Thread in 'Hunting Chat' started by kc30121, Jan 14, 2019.

1. kc30121

kc30121 Frontiersman

22   1

Rating
    95.7%
    So maybe this has been brought up before but I figured I would ask again. I’ve been out of hunting for about 5yrs and got back into it this year. Well my question is l, what is everyone paying for processing these days? Last time I had one done it was $65 plus $20 if you wanted sausage. I dropped one off last night and wow it’s gone up. Just wondered if my guy is high or if that’s what it’s gone up to. My guy is $80 and $25 for sausage. I think that’s still god for what they do but want to know if that’s about normal these days.

2. jeep78

jeep78 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

21   0

Rating
    100%
    That is what the guys around here are paying.

It is not difficult, you should learn how to do it.

3. Smokejr2

Smokejr2 ODT Junkie!

56   0

Rating
    100%
    I process them all myself. It takes time but I know none of my meat will be missing!

4. crippen

crippen The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

109   0

Rating
    100%
    That’s in line with what I paid and what I saw posted while I had hanging out at the processor in Montecillo.

On a side note. I would never eat meat from some of the deer I saw dragged in there. I saw a couple deer get drug in with hazed eyes and bloated bellies.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio ODT Junkie! Banned Permanently

Banned

7   0

Rating
    100%
    bout the same here, i used to do my own just to say i could, but it takes time.

6. kc30121

kc30121 Frontiersman

22   1

Rating
    95.7%
    Thanks guys. I figured that was normal. We used to grind our own up but not sure what happened a to the grinder when my grandfather passed away. No one can seem to find it in the barn. I have all his old knifes though. I’m gonna keep my eye open for a good deal(sale) on a good grinder and start doing it again myself.

7. 78Bronco

78Bronco ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

76   0

Rating
    100%
    I picked up some meat from my guy Sat. It was $62. I had the whole deer done into burger and it was 32lbs of meat and cost included him cleaning the deer. My guy charges by the pound, so the adder for sausage depends on how much you get. They should have another ready for me early this week that I did half ground and half sausage. I will let ya know what that runs, but sausage is always expensive. The guy I use doesn't mix meat and you get back the deer you dropped off. Not like some of the other places I have seen where they weigh your deer and you just get back that much meat, not knowing who's it was. I wouldn't use those kinda places.

8. drewga11

drewga11 ODT Junkie!

47   0

Rating
    100%
    The processor I use charges $65 for ground and cubed, that includes skinning and gutting. Sausage is priced by pound, but prices vary for type and whether or not you want it smoked. I've been really happy with them and they dont mix your deer with anyone else's. Their sausage is the best I've had and they do a good job wrapping everything. I've have used some processors in the past where every pack of meat was freezer burnt within 6 months.

9. gh1950

gh1950 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

63   0

Rating
    100%
    Check out Academy, BPS, Northern Tools, or whatever is close. From now till the end of the month, they will be blowing them out the door.