• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer processing

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
How long does it take, average costs?
Also does anyone have a good set of written instructions for field cleaning a deer?
the one closest to me is Marloes Deer market, any reviews?

depends who does it you or a processor. last year it was
$35 small
$40 med
$45 large

i think certain way's you had it cut might be a little extra, whether you wanted it butterflied , stripped or whatever
this was a place in the jefferson/commerce area. If they do it you usually drop it off , come back and get in when they call , atleast that's how the few around here work/pay for it when you pick it up , don't pay , your not allowed back! and yes they put your name on a dry erase board and say's DO NOT TAKE DEER FROM=XXXXXXX

you could always do it your self , don't take but 15-20 minutes get it cleaned/cut up if you got some knives , saw , somewhere to hang it !!

Last edited:
unfortunately most places quit doing it by weight....growing up on the Southside I went to Huckaby's in Brooks of 16....now that prices went up I do my own....bought everything I needed for the price of 2 processed deer...grinder, meat saw, and food saver for less than $200.00(after Christmas sales)....AND I know I am getting my deer and not a pot luck box....something you may want to look into....But...I do know that Patman's in Commerce does pretty darn good work....there is a new place in Lula right across from Andy's Cafe...I just don't have the $$$ to take it somewhere....when a place told me it was going to be $65.00 for a yearling just for all ground I said it's about time to learn...lol

I would try to learn on my own, but my apartment parking lot is no place to bring a deer carcass. I'll look up J.J's off 441 since thats on my was back form the hunting ground. I still would like a good set of instructions for field cleaning.

Do the processors look for tags?
Why do they say not to take another deer from you?

We started doing our own. Like was said in an earlier post there is some of an initial investment, but I know I'm getting all of my meat back. I got a little wary when I got the same amount of meat back no matter how big a deer or how many I took to be processed.

Doing it yourself is way cheaper too!

You got your post in before I could. I understand about the apartment parking lot. Maybe you have a friend with a place to do it,and you could split the cost?

Last edited:
I would try to learn on my own, but my apartment parking lot is no place to bring a deer carcass. I'll look up J.J's off 441 since thats on my was back form the hunting ground. I still would like a good set of instructions for field cleaning.

Do the processors look for tags?
Why do they say not to take another deer from you?

well if you drop one off to process and you don't come back , every one that i have been in to has a dry erase board with names of people who didn't come back too pick up the deer. It cost them time to process one out , then you not come back.
Most of the ones i have been too don't pay attn to tags , but i have also took one to be processed and the game warden come by just to see what's been brought in , he may check you in the parking lot, but not often.

What area you hunting in? J.J's does a good job. Sealey's between jefferson/commerce does good but high priced. Wood's on hwy 98 does good also.

it's easy to clean/skin one . . . best thing to do is just get in there and try it. The only thing about doing it yourself is that if you don't have the stuff to process the meat there's only a few things you can do and that is quarter it up. Front shoulders , back straps, hind quarters,

We started doing our own. Like was said in an earlier post there is some of an initial investment, but I know I'm getting all of my meat back. I got a little wary when I got the same amount of meat back no matter how big a deer or how many I took to be processed.

Doing it yourself is way cheaper too!

You got your post in before I could. I understand about the apartment parking lot. Maybe you have a friend with a place to do it,and you could split the cost?

Would you do other peoples for a fee?

I'll be hunting in Homer, the gunstore's owner has decided to repay my addictive purchasing with the ability to use his land and stands. I feel like I at least should gut the deer before I go to the processor since it's my first deer. An old friend who passed away always told me about scent glands that would spoil the meat if not removed fairly quick, anyone know about these? He said they were in the legs I think.

Back
Top Bottom