• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Rifle Cleaning?

If I put then in a sled mine shoot that also. I shot my hunting rifles at 100 yds like I would shoot at a deer. I’m normally in an lock-on and shooting free hand so what I’m saying is if I’m in a 4” circle I put on the target when I shoot(free hand) before season then I’m good. I just don’t split hairs with my hunting rifles and I’ve never had a good cleaning make any noticeable difference when I’m checking at the beginning of the year is all.
Now my long range FUN guns i don’t clean as much and clean them differently but the OP was talking about hunting rifles.

I would clean the gun before putting it away for the season --that includes several passes with a bronze bristle bore brush & several passes with lightly oiled cleaning patches through the bore.

Next season, IF you didn't want to shoot it to check the zero and create a normal amount of fouling in the barrel and burn off the light film of oil,

then I'd dry the bore with several passes of clean dry patches.

That should eliminate any first round deviation that is due to friction coefficient or lubrication in the barrel. It will not, however, change any deviation that you might find between a cold bore shot and a barrel that's been warmed up after firing three or four prior rounds at the same target, in a 5-shot group.

Back
Top Bottom