• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Defective Winchester Ammo

antique41

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
135   0
Reaction score
Went to the range today with a buddy to sight in a couple of ARs. Stopped at Wally World to buy him some ammo. Bought some white box Winchester. At the range his rifle wouldn't fire the Winchester ammo. Primer was struck, but no ignition. Has some TulAmmo. No problem. so we used it to sight in his rifle. I had some PMC that I was shooting. Also worked fine in his rifle. I tried some of the Winchester in mine. Primer strike but no ignition. There was another guy at the range with 2 ARs. One would not fire the Winchester and the other would fire the round but would not cycle the bolt.
Its a shame that Winchester is producing crap and the Russians have dependable stuff.

How much did you buy? You can contact Winchester, and they should send a pre-paid return label, and reimburse you, after they inspect the ammo. They should at a minimum, be contacted, and made aware of the issue, in case they need to recall that lot of ammo. http://www.winchester.com/Pages/download-site-contact-us.aspx

I had a problem with a case of .348 Win Ammo. Every case had a small imperfection on the shoulder. When fired the case would split. I called Winchester and they sent me a pre-paid label. They then sent me a case of new ammo but the problem really began when the case I sent them was a case of 20 boxes and they returned a case of 10 boxes. It took nearly two years to get the other 10 boxes. they tried to pull a fast one by telling me they hadn't made any more .348 Win and they would send it when they produced it. They then sent some vouchers instead and told me to contact a couple of sellers like Graf and sons to see if they had any. The vouchers were only worth a $100. Well at nearly $55 wholesale a box I was not going to get 10 boxes. My wife got on the phone with the lady, I was so pissed I walked out of the room. To this day I don't know what my wife said but the next day there was a brand new case of 10 boxes sitting on the porch when I got home.

I have fired thousands and thousands of Winchester white box 9mm and have never had one single issue but I see people complain about it more and more lately? I stocked up on it a few years back and still working my way through that lot but I wonder if the new production stuff is having issues because the stuff I bought has been flawless?

Went to the range today with a buddy to sight in a couple of ARs. Stopped at Wally World to buy him some ammo. Bought some white box Winchester. At the range his rifle wouldn't fire the Winchester ammo. Primer was struck, but no ignition. Has some TulAmmo. No problem. so we used it to sight in his rifle. I had some PMC that I was shooting. Also worked fine in his rifle. I tried some of the Winchester in mine. Primer strike but no ignition. There was another guy at the range with 2 ARs. One would not fire the Winchester and the other would fire the round but would not cycle the bolt.
Its a shame that Winchester is producing crap and the Russians have dependable stuff.
Sad,American companies piss and moan about competition an then mess it up.

Opened a box of PDX1 38 spc or 357 mag can't remember which at academy, but the cases were banged up and dented all over really bad like they'd been laid in the gravel and run over.
*slides box back on the shelf... Nope

Every single thing made by man, regardless of what country it’s made in, will have some defective product.

A company could make ammo that is 100% reliable, but the insane level of QC would drive the price through the roof, to a level that no one would buy it.

Part of the reason that ammo like Federal Gold Medal Match is so expensive when compared to other stuff is the added levels of QC.

I have personally seen:
FGMM with dud primers (yep, those are Federal 210M “Match” primers in that ammo)
Black Hills Match with primer pockets that were too deep, so that a firing pin couldn’t strike the primer well enough to set it off
Speer Gold Dot with no rims/rims too thin/rims too thick/primers in upside down/no primers/wrong caliber in box
In target loads from Winchester/Remington/PMC/S&B/Fiocchi/etc., I’ve seen all of the above, plus bullets in the casing upside down, cases that were dented/crumpled/crushed/torn, no powder in the case, etc.

If you’re not closely inspecting your carry/defensive ammo, you should be. Check the overall casing (especially the rim), the primer, and the bullet. Acquiring a case gauge and running every carry/defense round through it isn’t such a bad idea.

I've heard of reports of WWB ammo being dirty but not so much defective. I carry Winchester PDX1 ammo and train with it occasional and never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom