• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Defend your life in your home, go to jail?

cdb400

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
My mom was out visiting with my uncle in AZ. He's telling her that if someone breaks into her home looking to do her harm and she defends herself killing the person, the cops will still take her to jail. I assume he means for the night until things get sorted, but it seems to have scared my mom into maybe 2nd guessing herself if the scenario presented itself. She is widowed and lives by herself in north GA. I don't want her to hesitate and/or wait for the cops. She, of course, doesn't want to spend any time in jail. Can anyone speak to this?

If it looks like a legally justified use of deadly force, and she tells the cops what happened, odds are very low (close to zero) that she would be arrested.

If she “lawyers up” from the start and cops arrive to find a dead man in her home and her gun with a few rounds freshly fired, but she won’t talk about it, she very well could be arrested for murder and held without bond until she gets a lawyer who moves for a bond hearing in Superior Court.

But, EVEN IF it were true that cops always arrest everybody who kills an intruder in their homes, is that REALLY going to stop you from defending your home and family and self?
If you think a robber is likely to kidnap, rape, or kill you (and I think you can assume all burglars who break into occupied homes are ready to kill you), isn’t putting a bullet in them and then spending a few days in jail better than letting the intruder have his way with you?

Back
Top Bottom