• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Defense against dog

mmcneil

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
16   0
Reaction score
I was traveling home today from Florida. Stopped at a truck stop for fuel and bathroom break. Once I parked and my wife and I leave the truck I notice a lady calling for her dog. The dog payed no attention to her and was roaming the fueling area. It charged aggressively towards two other people and ran off. Once it saw me and my wife it charged us, it lunged at us twice but did not bite. We backed up and were pinned next to the ice box. The owner came over and tried to leash the dog but it charged another customer. If the owner hadn't come over it was gonna be a dead dog. No tail wagging or a playing. Would this be legal?

Given your explanation of what took place, I would have taken whatever steps were necessary to defend myself and my wife from an aggressive dog. Legal, I don't know. I don't see how you could possibly be liable for protecting yourself.

Coming from an Animal Control Officer, you would not have been at fault especially if there were witnesses, cameras as to what happened. We tell everyone "you have the right to protect yourselves and property". If anything, the dog owner would have been held liable and I have seen the judge order the dog owner to pay for the bullet that was shot as reimbursement. If there were no witnesses, cameras etc. and you did end up shooting the dog, both of you probably would have been cited just to have it dismissed by the judge later. I've had to deal with this scenario a few times already this year

likely would have been within the law, especially if a medium to large dog.
not sure how well it would have looked if a very small dog.
Myself I don't want to have to shoot any dog but I know where you are coming from.
when I walk with or without my dogs I always carry pepper Spray, first it wills top a dog and second it will stop a dog generally faster than a bullet will unless you hit the dog in the head.
I wouldn't really want to discharge a firearm pointing downward in an area of concrete/asphalt with other humans walking around anyway.
not an easy shot to hit a small target that's bouncing/running around.
the pepper spray will stop the attack and certainly remind the dog in the future that HUMANS are dangerous and will hurt you if you are aggressive toward them.
maybe spray the owner as well for not teaching/controlling the dog to begin with!
just my 2 cents.

I would not like shooting one in a crowded, public place. There is always someone that will see it and claim you were wrong.

But, I will not allow any animal to attack me or my family.

I had a neighborhood dog get very aggressive with my son a while back. I got between him and the dog with a pistol in my hand, but wouldn't have shot unless it actually bit me. Personally I'd rather get hurt than wonder if I had to shoot it.

Same dog got out of his pen later, again acting crazy, and came charging at me in my garage. Hit him with the Red Ryder a couple of times and he took off. Next day he got out and I popped him again. Next day he got out and wouldn't come into my culdesac lol.

I also called animal control every time he got loose. Owners have since fixed however he was escaping. I probably would have been justified in shooting him at least twice, but then you have to be "that guy down the street that shot that dog" for 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom