• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dekalb GWL: THE HOLY GRAIL???

thebeast138

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
OK, so: has anyone actually RECEIVED theirs from Dekalb without raising any kind of hell? If so, how long did it it end up taking?

My saga so far:
12/10/10: Visited probate court, completed & paid for application.
12/10-12/15(I think?): Played phone tag with Dekalb PD's answering machine (and an officer who ALWAYS seemed to catch me away from the phone and would not leave a direct callback #) to schedule fingerprinting.
12/15/10: Get sick of this Bravo Sierra, use my day off to drive down to the station and see what's up. Am told earliest available print appointment is FEBRUARY 23, WTF!!!!!
2/23/11: Schedule day off work, go down for prints. Officer taking electronic prints is professional and polite, hell even pleasant. Whole process door-to-door takes maybe 30 min. Moving right along, finally!

Haven't heard a peep out of those bastards since. That's what, 66 days now? 141 if you count from date of application? This is just a GWL, not a transferable machinegun fer Chrissakes...

Considered calling GBI and checking on things as suggested in a thread on GPDO, but at this point I'm kind of curious to see just how long this will take. Perhaps this could be a useful test case for future legal action? I'd like to hear from anyone who's dealt with this county, just how long did it really take?

I applied - in Lowndes County - in Dec 09. Right after the New Year (2010) was called back because they said they messed up my electronic fingerprinting (should have realized it because the guy kept manually over-riding the warnings the machine was giving him). Second time a very nice woman who seemed to understand the process better took my prints - no issues - about three weeks later (early February) I had my permit.
I was told, at the time, that due to the intervening holiday and because of the fingerprint mess-up my time was unusually long.

Troup County sends you to the UPS store for prints now. < 3 weeks from app to permit in the mail as well.

Yep...have to think that the whole appt. mess is a way to delay the permitting process. Cobb Co. will fingerprint you as soon as you fill out the paperwork and pay the fee. Literally walk out of the Probate office, down the elevator to the processing department where the take the fingerprints.

wife just did hers in Carroll County. Easy up, easy down. App, prints and license back in hand in 4-5 days for the complete process.

Athens-Clarke County: 20 minutes total. application at the courthouse took 10 minutes. walked down to the basement for finger prints- took another 10 minutes.

The part that took the longest:
I had to take the tiny swiss army knife off my key chain and hide it outside in the bushes outside to get into the court house. The officer at the metal detector thought it was ridiculous too. a ballpoint pen is more of a weapon than those things.

I got my GWL exactly 1 week later in the mail. Its the fastest turn-around time I've ever heard. Most college students don't apply and a lot of the full time residents are liberals who have no interest in it.

I was talking to the officer at the metal detector at my courthouse and he told me I could check my gun with them and pick it up on my way back out. I haven't tried that yet but I'm thinking about it. I think I still prefer to leave it in the car but if I ever do forget I may see about it.

Incidentally, My wife got a temp permit WHEN she filled the app out and paid. Then her plastic one came in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom