• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dekalb GWL: THE HOLY GRAIL???

I am not sure if the process has changed but a few years ago I got one in Dekalb and it was no big deal. Went to court house in Decatur to fill out paperwork, then went to office next to the jail on Memorial Drive to get finger printed. Took about 2-3 months to get it though.

I was talking to the officer at the metal detector at my courthouse and he told me I could check my gun with them and pick it up on my way back out. I haven't tried that yet but I'm thinking about it. I think I still prefer to leave it in the car but if I ever do forget I may see about it.

Incidentally, My wife got a temp permit WHEN she filled the app out and paid. Then her plastic one came in a week or so.

I went through the door and put 2 pocket knives a cell phone and my keys in the tray walked through the detector and the guy went ballistic when I got on the other side.Had to put all the stuff in the truck and come back through it.READ the sign on the front door,NO WEAPONS

I went through the door and put 2 pocket knives a cell phone and my keys in the tray walked through the detector and the guy went ballistic when I got on the other side.Had to put all the stuff in the truck and come back through it.READ the sign on the front door,NO WEAPONS

Maybe I just got an honest face. ;)
At the time my gun was in the car but the holster was in my waistband. THAT's what brought the question up. The cop was very casual about it and told me not to worry, if I forgot they would hold it for me, no problem. Course we aren't in Doraville either.

Here's the law:

(d) Investigation of applicant; issuance of weapons carry license; renewal.
(1) For both weapons carry license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall within five days following the receipt of the application or request direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court. Fingerprints shall be in such form and of such quality as prescribed by the Georgia Crime Information Center and under standards adopted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation may charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search.
(2) For both weapons carry license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall within five days following the receipt of the application or request also direct the law enforcement agency to conduct a background check using the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System and return an appropriate report to the probate judge.
(3) When a person who is not a United States citizen applies for a weapons carry license or renewal of a license under this Code section, the judge of the probate court shall direct the law enforcement agency to conduct a search of the records maintained by the United States Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and return an appropriate report to the probate judge. As a condition to the issuance of a license or the renewal of a license, an applicant who is in nonimmigrant status shall provide proof of his or her qualifications for an exception to the federal firearm prohibition pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y).
(4) The law enforcement agency shall report to the judge of the probate court within 30 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his or her eligibility for a weapons carry license or renewal license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application and the blank license form with the fingerprint thereon directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than ten days after the judge of the probate court receives the report from the law enforcement agency concerning the suitability of the applicant for a firearms license, the judge of the probate court shall issue such applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver weapon unless facts establishing ineligibility have been reported or unless the judge determines such applicant has not met all the qualifications, is not of good moral character, or has failed to comply with any of the requirements contained in this Code section. The judge of the probate court shall date stamp the report from the law enforcement agency to show the date on which the report was received by the judge of the probate court.

OK so let's do the math: Section 1 and 2 are the same 5 days so 5+30+10=45 Days!

If they are outside that timetable then they are in violation of the law. I would double check this info on GaCarry.org and see if you can't get some help correcting the attitude of the judge or whoever is in non-compliance.

Last edited:
OK, so: has anyone actually RECEIVED theirs from Dekalb without raising any kind of hell? If so, how long did it it end up taking?

My saga so far:
12/10/10: Visited probate court, completed & paid for application.
12/10-12/15(I think?): Played phone tag with Dekalb PD's answering machine (and an officer who ALWAYS seemed to catch me away from the phone and would not leave a direct callback #) to schedule fingerprinting.
12/15/10: Get sick of this Bravo Sierra, use my day off to drive down to the station and see what's up. Am told earliest available print appointment is FEBRUARY 23, WTF!!!!!
2/23/11: Schedule day off work, go down for prints. Officer taking electronic prints is professional and polite, hell even pleasant. Whole process door-to-door takes maybe 30 min. Moving right along, finally!

Haven't heard a peep out of those bastards since. That's what, 66 days now? 141 if you count from date of application? This is just a GWL, not a transferable machinegun fer Chrissakes...

Considered calling GBI and checking on things as suggested in a thread on GPDO, but at this point I'm kind of curious to see just how long this will take. Perhaps this could be a useful test case for future legal action? I'd like to hear from anyone who's dealt with this county, just how long did it really take?

wow, sorry its been such a hassle. my wife appllied for hers in candler county and had it in her hand the next day.

Back
Top Bottom