• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess we've beat this dead horse enough.

Not one police officer has come forward with suggestions on how to improve their image or try to convince us that we have nothing to fear from them. The only responses so far have been to bash us for not kissing their collective asses.

Why should they care about image? It is not their job to convince us of anything.

I don't care what anyone's image is of HVAC contractors and I'm sure you don't care what people think about IT guys.

If you want to change the operational aspect of law enforcement, that begins with the Legislative Branch of government.

The poor innocent victim here was not pure as the driven snow either. Apparently he was a falling down alcoholic and had "mental problems". I'm not saying he deserved it but he should not be portrayed as a poor, abused, down trodden, Native American artist assassinated by the pale faces like his forefathers.
One report I read said the guy had been arrested 100 times. I'm not saying he was going to, was committing or had committed a crime at that moment when the LEO happened to roll up on him at an intersection by chance. But the RAS seems weak to me and the response excessive.

Why should they care about image? It is not their job to convince us of anything.

I don't care what anyone's image is of HVAC contractors and I'm sure you don't care what people think about IT guys.

If you want to change the operational aspect of law enforcement, that begins with the Legislative Branch of government.

"Jeese, I dunno why the people don't trust us or want to help..."

that's why

That combined video, while not graphic, is one of the most disturbing crime scenes that I have seen. Please tell me that guy is never allowed to possess a firearm under the color of authority ever again.

Man I hate to see that stuff. That's comes from a staunch defender of LE in most cases.

A covered position behind a traffic control box and rounds into the back and side say so much.....trigger happy individual or a officer far to scared of the population to be doing any kind of work that involves potential deadly force.

Last edited:
The poor innocent victim here was not pure as the driven snow either. Apparently he was a falling down alcoholic and had "mental problems". I'm not saying he deserved it but he should not be portrayed as a poor, abused, down trodden, Native American artist assassinated by the pale faces like his forefathers.
One report I read said the guy had been arrested 100 times. I'm not saying he was going to, was committing or had committed a crime at that moment when the LEO happened to roll up on him at an intersection by chance. But the RAS seems weak to me and the response excessive.

One would think this officer was aware of who this guy was. I would hate to think he would stop just anyone walking down the street with a folded buck knife or someone carving a piece of art.

It does not mean I think the shooting was justified.

One would think this officer was aware of who this guy was. I would hate to think he would stop just anyone walking down the street with a folded buck knife or someone carving a piece of art.

It does not mean I think the shooting was justified.

I understand. The report says they could not find any record of this officer ever having any interaction with the dead guy. So we have to assume they were total strangers...but, having been arrested 100x I find that difficult to believe.

My ex wife raised kane at the Gwinnett County Courthouse with an ADA when they dropped my charges. I think most of them there know her name, now. That's what my attorney told me the ADA relayed to him.

Yup.

That is a legislative problem not an enforcement one.

Hell I would like to see the "Equal Protection Clause" applied here.
Yes, but... we are all familiar with the phrase "Just because it's legal doesn't make it right." Of ALL people you would 'assume' (yeah I know) that LEO would be the first to understand that. If LEO are mindless robots pushing the limits of the law just because it's "legal" and "they can", even to the point of killing citizens who pose no greater threat than that scenario, the same conditions of which I'm fairly certain any other citizen would have been charged and convicted of murder... then we have a much much bigger problem than any fixes the legislative process will accomplish.

"Jeese, I dunno why the people don't trust us or want to help..."

that's why

Legislative policies and poor rulings by the courts have generated this adversarial relationship between law enforcement and the citizenry. 200 years ago the idea of searching someone just to make sure they weren't hiding something would have been absurd. Even last century, if you called the station and told them a guy was walking down the street with a gun, the response would have been "and?".

You can "community outreach" until you are blue in the face but when the law dictates 4th amendment violations and the courts hold it up, there is going to be some animosity there.

You mix that with the natural keyboard commandos, anarchists, paranoid, and tin foil hats on the internet and they might as well be pissing in the wind.

the advent of cameras on patrol cars, buildings and with citizens has exposed what used to be somewhat accepted behavior, toss in the internet and a population that thinks you can shoot someone in the arm to end a conflict = cluster****. Allot of that responsibility lies with the PD's IMO. People are watching and don't buy the "official" story any longer as it has been proven to be BS in so many cases. Then what /\ mentioned and boom....

200 years ago the idea of searching someone just to make sure they weren't hiding something would have been absurd.
Wha? The idea of searching a white guy might have been absurd... depending on the neighborhood.

Even last century, if you called the station and told them a guy was walking down the street with a gun, the response would have been "and?".
Depends on the location. There was a lot of panic over revolvers when they started showing up. It was like people were carrying full auto machine guns. In some ways our current culture is actually more accepting of firearms, just look at CCW laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom