• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Democrats Plan to Pursue Most Aggressive Gun-Control Legislation in Decades.

I couldn't read the WSJ article in the OP. Too many annoying ads.
But, I think it's premature to worry about "gun control" on a federal level 2017-2020.
Trump is in the White House and the GOP is solidly in control of the Senate.
The Republicans may not go along with any pro-gun bills. No rollback of gun control. No reform of the NFA. No easy silencers. No national carry permits or mandatory reciprocity for interstate travelers. But the Republicans won't give the Democrats anything from THEIR gun control wish list, either.

It will be status quo until at least the summer of 2021.

I couldn't read the WSJ article in the OP. Too many annoying ads.
But, I think it's premature to worry about "gun control" on a federal level 2017-2020.
Trump is in the White House and the GOP is solidly in control of the Senate.
The Republicans may not go along with any pro-gun bills. No rollback of gun control. No reform of the NFA. No easy silencers. No national carry permits or mandatory reciprocity for interstate travelers. But the Republicans won't give the Democrats anything from THEIR gun control wish list, either.

It will be status quo until at least the summer of 2021.

I'm not 100% sure on any of that to be honest...

If we get another Sandy Hook Bloomberg will dump hundreds of millions of dollars into legal pushes, propaganda and 'media support'. As far as gun control goes the media is solidly against gun owners, and even Fox is wishy-washy at best.

As for Trump. the only gun issue we've seen him have to deal with so far is bump-stocks, and he failed miserably there. I seem to remember things like "get the guns first and worry about due process later" coming out of his mouth.

I have little to no faith that he's going to stick with gun owners if things get tough again. Heck, he might honestly even think he's doing us a favor by negotiating a compromise. But until I see a 'cold dead hands' moment from him I'm not placing great faith there.

As for the Senate... I'm not counting on them either. Look at the Kavenaugh vote. It should have been one vote and done, and it dragged out over weeks because there were too many RINOs worried about hurting the Dems feelings.

Put a lot of those 'A' rated Senators under a Bloomberg media blitz 10x bigger than Sandy Hook and it will take a major push by gun owners to keep them from folding like wet tissue.

The key here is that Bloomberg sees all the internal chaos in the Dems right now as an opportunity. He's doing everything he can to make gun control THE issue going forward because it's the issue he already owns. He has the national and state organizations already rolling.

Heck, the seat the Dems spent millions on with loser Ossoff and the GOP with Handel just a year or so ago went not just to a Bloomberg funded candidate, but someone who WORKS for him in his 'Everytown' group.

The only thing that may prevent the Dems from going whole hog on gun control will be if they reject or sideline Bloomie for some reason. The Progressive wing of the Dems may end up with more power than they've shown so far and de-prioritize gun control in favor of single payer health and such. Or maybe he'll make some kind of Big Gulp gaffe that will make him such a laughing stock the Dems will back away from him.

If not, and he ends up with a significant voice in the Dems game plan, I'm expecting relentless attacks on guns right through the 2020 election at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom