• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Designing outdoor range for training?

To be fair, those are all high caliber rifle rounds. I shoot 9mm ball. Difficult to believe a round nose bullet would behave the same way. But maybe.

I live about 700-1000 yards through pretty thick woods with heavy timber from a guy who USED TO SHOOT in his back yard. His back yard faces my property.

One Sunday morning about a year ago, after he had been shooting on Saturday, I walked out to my car and found a 9mm fmj ball laying next to my front tire. I thought it "could" be one of his, but there are a LOT of trees and underbrush between us, so I didn't say anything. Then, this past June, he was having a family get together, and they were back to shooting again. This time I had my BIL helping me do some work in my back yard, and we got to hearing twings and twangs going through the treetops. I had saved the bullet from last year, and went to the neighbor and asked him if he was shooting 9mm. He said yes, and I handed him the bullet. His face went white. He was very apologetic, and assured me he didn't know he was shooting towards my house, and that they would not be shooting any more. We shook hands and parted as good neighbors.

I still find it hard to believe that the 9mm travelled through all of those woods and landed next to my car. But, I now know that PROJECTILES FROM A GUN CAN DO SOME STRANGE THINGS.

Good luck with your shooting range, but be aware of the surroundings.

I live about 700-1000 yards through pretty thick woods with heavy timber from a guy who USED TO SHOOT in his back yard. His back yard faces my property.

One Sunday morning about a year ago, after he had been shooting on Saturday, I walked out to my car and found a 9mm fmj ball laying next to my front tire. I thought it "could" be one of his, but there are a LOT of trees and underbrush between us, so I didn't say anything. Then, this past June, he was having a family get together, and they were back to shooting again. This time I had my BIL helping me do some work in my back yard, and we got to hearing twings and twangs going through the treetops. I had saved the bullet from last year, and went to the neighbor and asked him if he was shooting 9mm. He said yes, and I handed him the bullet. His face went white. He was very apologetic, and assured me he didn't know he was shooting towards my house, and that they would not be shooting any more. We shook hands and parted as good neighbors.

I still find it hard to believe that the 9mm travelled through all of those woods and landed next to my car. But, I now know that PROJECTILES FROM A GUN CAN DO SOME STRANGE THINGS.

Good luck with your shooting range, but be aware of the surroundings.

Good to know, that's scary. Was there hill or a berm or any backstop between? Or was it just flat with woods?

Good to know, that's scary. Was there hill or a berm or any backstop between? Or was it just flat with woods?

The land between us is like a "W", with the middle hill not quite as high as either side. He could shoot straight across to my house if there were no trees, but his yard would dictate that he shoot downhill. I don't know about his backstop and I didn't push it since he was clearly shaken that he could have shot someone, and said that they wouldn't be shooting any more in his back yard.

These guys are right.. A 60 ft. hill with trees could be woefully deficient depending on the angle of impact? I've been shot at by "mistake" twice in my life by people that thought they were being safe. Chased both groups down and gave them a good talking to.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I will need quotes to have an excavator cut out an area in the hill with a much steeper wall than the hill currently has.
It's hard to believe that an 80 foot hill is not a safe backstop, but better safe than sorry.

Anyone know what that would cost? or have a referral for someone who would do that work? For Cartersville and Canton.

I much prefer a more vertical berm closer to the firing line. I wanna SEE where the rounds impact, if at all possible. Just too much liability attached to rounds I can't account for.

It also helps for doing drills like Down & Disabled and such. Easy to go over a berm in those drills, if it ain't close and tall.

It also helps for doing drills like Down & Disabled and such. Easy to go over a berm in those drills, if it ain't close and tall.

I was thinking the same thing. Luckily I will still have the 80ft hill behind the 10-15 wall in the side of the hill.
Looking at those tacticool youtube videos, a lot lof those berms looks really easy to shoot right over. Maybe there's nothing for 2 miles on the other side. :noidea:

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I will need quotes to have an excavator cut out an area in the hill with a much steeper wall than the hill currently has.
It's hard to believe that an 80 foot hill is not a safe backstop, but better safe than sorry.

Anyone know what that would cost? or have a referral for someone who would do that work? For Cartersville and Canton.

Rent a BobCat for a day. As long as there is no big tree / root balls that need to come out or ledge / huge rock you are good to go. A rental for the weekend would be around $500 with delivery and pickup. Man you can do a lot.

Rent a BobCat for a day. As long as there is no big tree / root balls that need to come out or ledge / huge rock you are good to go. A rental for the weekend would be around $500 with delivery and pickup. Man you can do a lot.

That sounds like it would be fun, but unfortuantely I don't know how to run one. You think it can make a 8ft berm?

Back
Top Bottom