• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Designing outdoor range for training?

So I am finally getting a bunch of dirt delivered this weekend and friend is getting a bobcat to build the berms.
I don't think I can do cmshoot cmshoot 's idea of a square all the way around without paying out a huge amount for the amount of dirt I'd need.

A buddy who is a Marine who still does a lot of tactical courses said that to accommodate 2 simultaneous shooters, I need a 20 ft wide 6 foot tall back, and then 2 "wings" extended from the sides at 45 degree angles. That should do almost everything I would need. Any last minute suggestions before we build it this weekend? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I am getting a bunch of the 50 gal plastic barrels as suggested.

Using the bobcat to fill well-placed stacked barrels and tires is prolly your best chance for building high sides and back. Going high with dirt is alot of work.

Don't let yer buddy scrape you out a big low mud puddly area where you'll be walking. You can borrow my level tripod and rod if you want to shoot grades for drainage.

Using the bobcat to fill well-placed stacked barrels and tires is prolly your best chance for building high sides and back. Going high with dirt is alot of work.

Don't let yer buddy scrape you out a big low mud puddly area where you'll be walking. You can borrow my level tripod and rod if you want to shoot grades for drainage.

Thanks. He is getting the dirt for free and the bobcat too since he works for a big commercial construction company. I'll mention the barrel idea to him and see if that will save him time.

Mine's coming along quite nicely, too! If it would ever stop raining around here I could get it finished up.

A few "before" pictures:

IMG_20170527_162227859_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170527_162254664_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170529_125230857.jpg

This is how it currently looks. A work in progress, but the finished product is in sight. I can't wait! When completed, I'll have two bays 30 yards deep and 18 yards wide with a 16 foot backstop and 10 foot divider berms. Plenty of room for any kind of steel competition and tactical training. It will only be open to pistol caliber weapons, including police carbines and the like. Stacking dirt IS a lot of work!

IMG_20170628_202715443.jpg
IMG_20170628_202741645.jpg

Mine's coming along quite nicely, too! If it would ever stop raining around here I could get it finished up.

A few "before" pictures:

View attachment 1242747 View attachment 1242749 View attachment 1242753

This is how it currently looks. A work in progress, but the finished product is in sight. I can't wait! When completed, I'll have two bays 30 yards deep and 18 yards wide with a 16 foot backstop and 10 foot divider berms. Plenty of room for any kind of steel competition and tactical training. It will only be open to pistol caliber weapons, including police carbines and the like. Stacking dirt IS a lot of work!

View attachment 1242754 View attachment 1242755

Nice range!

Well, crud. Four truck loads of dirt was not enough for a 6ft berm that is 20 ft wide. Looks like we will need to get a bunch more dirt.

Attachments

• 20170716_105300.jpg
    20170716_105300.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom