• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Desperately need help on home! Carpenter/foundation

zracin

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I bought my home 8 yrs ago and there was a dip in the floor. The inspector and former owner said it had been repaired and put on jacks. It had, or at least the jack is there...supporting a 2x12 anyway... where it's sagging is where the dishwasher is. Dishwasher broke today, so I pulled it out. The floor underneath it is rotted in the corner. I need someone to repair it ( the floor) and assess what else may be needed soon! I have plenty to trade; silver, guns, otherwise I'll be putting it on a CC. Please let me know...really need some assistance soon. Call or txt me at any hour 678-429-2188 or PM me here

Attachments

• 15474382875044401686672230798529.jpg
    15474382875044401686672230798529.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 90
I'm a DIY type of guy. I probably won't be the one to fix it.

It seems that the dishwasher may have been dripping for a while.
It is probably separate from the sagging floor.

Don't let someone try to correct the sagging floor too quickly. The jack should be raised judiciously over time.

The rotten corner could be aired out with a fan. I would most likely cut out just the rotten area from below and patch in a piece.

I've owned a bunch of old houses in my lifetime, I'm not a contractor, but I have seen and done a lot of DYI repairs. If I had to guess, the end of the joist rotted out, probably because of a leaky plumbing and now the end isnt supported on the foundation, so its sagging. A quick fix is to put a jack under it and forget it. But the rot continued and now you have a mess.

If you have easy access to the joist, you can cut off the rotted end, and sister a second joist to the original one and jack it back in place.
Not a hard repair if you have a full basement and easy access to the end of the joist that is under the dishwasher.

Harder part is fixing the rotten floor. The right way to do it is to remove the cabinets and replace a section of the subfloor, replace the kitchen floor and reinstall the cabinets. That's a big job, so you might be able to get away with just cutting out what is under the dishwasher and replacing that. If you have access to the bottom of the floor it make it easier to support a smaller section of plywood. Hopefully the floor isn't rotted under the cabinets, if it is, they need to come out.

Lastly you need to figure out what is leaking, and why the joist rotted out and fix that. A good plumber should be able to fix the dishwasher leak. I would also check to see if you have water coming in from another spot, like a leak from the outside that rotted the joist.

A contractor that would take this small/finicky job is going to be next to impossible to find in this economy. All of the trades have upped their prices this year and from what I hear they are upping them every day. Even the unskilled guys are bumping their rates.

You best bet is either a buddy, or retired guy to help you fix it.

I would come take a look at it, but I am gone this week, back next week. If you can wait a week I will come look at it.

20190114_121122.jpg
Screenshot_20190114-125026_Google.jpg
There's a valley in the roof there that was a historic problem with leaking. It also backs up to the deck and the dishwasher is above it as well. It is a crawlspace. The area where the rot is, is immediately inside the crawlspace access door. Here is a picture. The floor under the rotted area has had plywood placed under it (possibly to conceal ita past problem). And a jack placed there with a 2x12 on it's side. It looks to me like I need to pull the floor up and replace it, then put 4x4s under there. I'd like the sagging floor jacked back up if possible. I'm not worried about pulling the cabinets and floor. I can have that done prior to anyone coming out if that helps..

I have an old historic house from the 1890's in downtown Buford (rental).
Been there, done that. When I bought it years ago, it was like a fun house, walk on the floor and went up and down.
Replace the rotted wood, add bracing and support, then add jacks you have in the pic (i have a few at that house, they work wonderful). Have also done similar repairs for my customers.

If you cannot get anyone to handle the issue, or folks are wanting 5 figures to fix it, shoot me a PM. I run an erosion/drainage/foundation repair business in N Gwinnett (rarely travel outside my area, but can make an exception now and then). I'm not "cheap" but very fair with prices. It will be my helper "Mark" and myself, not a crew that doesn't speak American. :) Oh and i'm insured :)

*** Sent you another useful PM on what to look for when the contractor comes out to look at the issue and provide an estimate. If anything I mentioned they aren't going to do, put that in the back of your mind. Hopefully it will all work out, if not, let me know. I'm definitely not hurting for business, so not pushing my work --- however, will shoot you straight with everything I've mentioned in PM. :)

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom