• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Detached Retina

C ountry

Default rank <1500 posts
Old but still Bold, CSA Blood
1   0
Reaction score
A few years ago running farm dozer a tree sprang back & killed me, but I didn't die.
But it hit so hard it knocked both my eyeballs loose.
That's what started the retina issues. Has anyone here had retina surgery?
Did it work and would you recommend it? I've already had 3 eye surgeries and wondering if I should let well enough alone. Yep, that tree killed me but I ain't dead yet.

Same thing happened to me except I was operating an excavator. Lost My vision for several days. Finally healed after six weeks then my retina detached. Emergency surgery at Emory. Extreme pain for weeks. Took two years for my eye to heal and correct. Been 10 years. Still bothers me but I have my vision. I can’t imagine Life with one eye. It was a living nightmare but I would probably do it again if faced with the decision.

Same thing happened to me except I was operating an excavator. Lost My vision for several days. Finally healed after six weeks then my retina detached. Emergency surgery at Emory. Extreme pain for weeks. Took two years for my eye to heal and correct. Been 10 years. Still bothers me but I have my vision. I can’t imagine Life with one eye. It was a living nightmare but I would probably do it again if faced with the decision.
I can’t imagine life with two eyes… been blind in right eye since 10yrs old. Do what it takes to take care them eyes guys. Can’t replace them.

About 3 years ago, both of my retinas detached 6 months apart. No accidents, it just happened. Had surgery on both eyes and it really wasn’t as bad as it sounds. Worst part was having to set still with my head facing down for a week to hold the gas bubbles keeping my retinas in place while they healed. I’m fortunate that I can see with both eyes.

I have a buddy that had the same thing happen. He lost vision in one eye for about two weeks, he just kept going. It freaked me out. I had retina surgery in the third grade. Anyway as best I know he's doing OK, however I think there's some sort of paralysis with the first eye that came unattached. Do all you can to preserve your vision. I've lived with about an eye and a half all my life. I had to have cataract surgery several years ago. The Doc says well I just don't know what I can do...I said well Doc just do your best you can. When I was leaving the office after surgery I could tell I could see out of that eye even with a perforated patch on. The miracles of modern medical science. Good luck and God bless

Four surgeries for a recurring retinal detachment. Had to have a scleral buckle to hold the retina to the eyeball.

The positioning while it heals was the hardest part for me. As I was whining and griping about the vision change the Doc told me I was really lucky to see at all out of the eye.

Yep, the first surgery was the gas bubble one, where I then had to stare at the floor for a week! While the gas bubble kept the retina in place.
On a follow up visit to the eye doctor, while looking at her work, she said "OH NO!"
It had partially detached again. This time they did the buckle thing. Had to stare at the floor for a week again, but all is great for 4 years now.

Congrats on not being as dead as you once were !! :shocked:

Had a detached retina a couple years ago, the doc did a laser weld in the office. Fuzzy for a few days, but perfect afterwards. Six week follow-up and annual visits to make sure all is ok - and it seems to be all ok!

Back
Top Bottom