• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DI vs Piston accuracy, interesting results

My LWRC is about that same as my A2 Bushmaster and a lot light than my RR with a heavy barrel.
Understood. But that's a far cry from a krieger barreled upper built by one of the top guys in the precision rifle world. The test described above is probably a good example of how attaching a heavy piston and gas block to a barrel disrupts it's harmonics more than anything. The bullet has already left the muzzle before the piston starts to do its thing.

As cmshoot cmshoot mentioned above, the HK uses a big honking heavy barrel to combat this. The stiffer heavy barrel is less susceptible to harmonics than a lighter profile.

Understood. But that's a far cry from a krieger barreled upper built by one of the top guys in the precision rifle world. The test described above is probably a good example of how attaching a heavy piston and gas block to a barrel disrupts it's harmonics more than anything. The bullet has already left the muzzle before the piston starts to do its thing.

As cmshoot cmshoot mentioned above, the HK uses a big honking heavy barrel to combat this. The stiffer heavy barrel is less susceptible to harmonics than a lighter profile.

I still don't know about a piston kit on a gun designed for a DI. I think he should pick up a gun designed for a piston and built with one like what was said above to get a true test. Why not get a DI and a piston gun from the same manufacture and give it another try.

Its a lot like sticking a supercharger on a motor that's designed to be N/A. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should.

I still don't know about a piston kit on a gun designed for a DI. I think he should pick up a gun designed for a piston and built with one like what was said above to get a true test. Why not get a DI and a piston gun from the same manufacture and give it another try.

Its a lot like sticking a supercharger on a motor that's designed to be N/A. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should.
Too many variables. This test was on the same barrel.

Too many variables. This test was on the same barrel.

Yep, too many variables. If you can't control the variables then the comparison is invalid.

I've owned the LWRC REPR and I currently own a JPE LRP-07. The JP shoots more accurately than my REPR did, but all that means is that MY LRP-07 shoots more accurately than MY LWRC REPR. It doesn't mean that the LRP-07 is a more accurate rifle than the REPR.

Huh? What exactly do you think they do differently to the barrel for a piston gun?

If you have to ask that question, then your definitely not in the know......................just kidding!!!! I have no clue what that means. I'm not in the know on this one. I own DI and piston guns but can't shoot well enough to do any accuracy testing on anything.

If you have to ask that question, then your definitely not in the know......................just kidding!!!! I have no clue what that means. I'm not in the know on this one. I own DI and piston guns but can't shoot well enough to do any accuracy testing on anything.
It doesn't mean anything, it's horse crap. The barrel is a barrel is a barrel. I suppose that someone is going to try and tell me that LWRC spiral flutes their barrels because they're designed to work better with pistons. Bull. Crap.

It doesn't mean anything, it's horse crap. The barrel is a barrel is a barrel. I suppose that someone is going to try and tell me that LWRC spiral flutes their barrels because they're designed to work better with pistons. Bull. Crap.

I would think that as well. You mean the spiraling on my barrels doesn't better the function of my firearm. I bought it because it looked pretty, tell me it's not so!!

Back
Top Bottom