• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did a little fishing in AK

Thanks for sharing, what a great time. I'm heading up in two weeks for fishing. Hope to be bringing home halibut, salmon and crab (the crustacean not ball bugs).

You should hit the silver salmon right on target. They are a blast to catch. I wanted to go out for halibut, but ran out of time. We did make it down to Homer, AK to the Spetz and saw some decent sized halibut, 71lb was the biggest. Hope you catch a bunch!

You should hit the silver salmon right on target. They are a blast to catch. I wanted to go out for halibut, but ran out of time. We did make it down to Homer, AK to the Spetz and saw some decent sized halibut, 71lb was the biggest. Hope you catch a bunch!

Thanks. I am curious, did y'all flash freeze your fish or use dry ice to get it back home?

Thanks. I am curious, did y'all flash freeze your fish or use dry ice to get it back home?

I actually had access to a freezer and a food saver for the sockeye. We did it ourselves and packed it tight with newspaper as an extra insulator. Took it on the plane and got it back without any issues. The king salmon, however, is being mailed to us today in a cooler via usps/2day air. Should be fine if they pack it the same way. The cost to flash freeze and pack can be spend. 1.25 a lb not including the box. To ship it fedex...$250 for one 42lb box. Ouch! I'd at least pay for the flash freezing and then, after this last trip, buy a cheap cooler (and duct tape) to put it all in. More insulation and it can take some rough baggage handling. Can't use dry ice in a cooler though... gases cannot escape. What airline are you using? United Airlines want $100 per box of fish, but fortunately the lady only charged me $35.

I actually had access to a freezer and a food saver for the sockeye. We did it ourselves and packed it tight with newspaper as an extra insulator. Took it on the plane and got it back without any issues. The king salmon, however, is being mailed to us today in a cooler via usps/2day air. Should be fine if they pack it the same way. The cost to flash freeze and pack can be spend. 1.25 a lb not including the box. To ship it fedex...$250 for one 42lb box. Ouch! I'd at least pay for the flash freezing and then, after this last trip, buy a cheap cooler (and duct tape) to put it all in. More insulation and it can take some rough baggage handling. Can't use dry ice in a cooler though... gases cannot escape. What airline are you using? United Airlines want $100 per box of fish, but fortunately the lady only charged me $35.

I'm flying Alaska Air and will be taking a 30 quart cooler as checked baggage on the way out with boots and rain gear stored and to bring fish back on the way home.

I've got a pair of muck boots that I thought about taking in addition to a pair of shorter ll bean boots, would you suggest taking the mucks?

Back
Top Bottom