• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did you take "risks" as a child growing up, if so, post em here

God looks out for fools and idiots. I have been both at some point in my 50+ years still on this earth. I look back and wonder how but I'm still here.

One of the good ones was my younger brother who was to young to understand firearms at the time. He placed a live bullet he had found in a vice and thought it would be cool to get it to fire by hitting the primer with a screwdriver and a hammer. He had tightened the case and head of the bullet in the vise. It went off and the explosion sent shrapnel of brass case into his wrist. To the ER they went but he survived some how.

Some of us are still learning.
A few years back I was cutting a 2x4 with my circular saw by holding the board in front of me with one hand and cutting with the other. Done it a bunch of times with no problem. This time the saw bounced of the board and back into my coveralls. The coveralls and high speed blade sucked the saw into my thigh and all I heard was "zip". ER, 28 stiches to my leg and my daughter calls me "gash". Last year I tried to ride my daughter's scooter because it looked fun. I took off okay and got to full speed when the handlebars turned and the scooter came to an immediate stop. I did not, and flew over the top and landed on hard concrete. My daughter ran up and tells me "are you bleeding? if not get up". She heard that once or twice from someone. X-rays but nothing broken except my pride. My knee is still numb a year later.

I stuck a .30-.30 bullet point first in the dirt and shot the primer with a BB gun.

Thank God, The primer blew out with out setting off the round. Thinking about it now

The brass would have came backwards as fast at the lead goes forward.

Also used to experiment making bombs with shotgun power, we reloaded so I had a whole keg

Of gun power to play with.

51URLD3dTgL.jpg
Would you like a set of these? I have some! All the blood has been long-since washed off.

1.playing at old sawmill sites on massive mounds of sawdust and scrap wood....throwing scrap wood blocks at each other......yep got my head opened with one....
2. bb gun battles..fortunately I still have two eyes..
3. catching all kinds of snakes..
4. wading the Chestatee River alone to a sand bar to catfish with a cane pole..
5. roamed all over the woods at night alone...
6. climbing huge trees a long way from home deep in the north Ga. woods alone....had a limb break once and on the way down a snag pierced by jeans leg and caught me bu the cuff seam leaving me hanging upside down about 40 feet up with a nice gash in m leg......took me a bit to get myself out of that one//
7. making homemade fireworks out of old bb tubes....fortunately I still have all my fingers.....
8. hitchhiked every where I wanted to go , never had a problem.....

Surely should have been dead or maimed a 100 times over , I don't know why but the Good LORD has saved me for something yet to come.

Not that I did this, but did anyone else... I mean ... have you ever heard of someone is super gluing a screw to a shotgun primer removing about half of the pellets and putting a long slim stick tape into the shell casing and then throwing it like a hand grenade...
I'm sure it would be devastating :becky:

Not that I did this, but did anyone else... I mean ... have you ever heard of someone is super gluing a screw to a shotgun primer removing about half of the pellets and putting a long slim stick tape into the shell casing and then throwing it like a hand grenade...
I'm sure it would be devastating :becky:

Sounds like fun!

Back
Top Bottom