• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did you watch the TV show : Baa Baa Blacksheep? Here is the F4U story!

Correct, left wing was kept low until the last minute, then straightened up when they got the "ball". The cockpit was far back of the wing and created a blind spot. I believe the British solved the problem, not sure. Regardless, was one flying machine

I was remembering that they also bounced bad on landing and that was one of the main reasons the navy didn't use them at first. Seems like Vought later made changes to reduce it and that helped get them carrier qualified.

I was remembering that they also bounced bad on landing and that was one of the main reasons the navy didn't use them. Seems like Vought later made changes to reduce it and that helped get them carrier qualified.
They did, but when the attesting hook catches it will haul them down. Watched a lot of carrier landings. Some crashes.

They did, but when the attesting hook catches it will haul them down. Watched a lot of carrier landings. Some crashes.

I thought that was the problem..? The early models bounced so much that they couldn't catch the hook and stay hooked sometimes. Plus the bouncing made control difficult on the small carrier decks.

Back
Top Bottom