• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Die adjustment and set up. HELP!

The dead length bullet seater that comes with the deluxe set does not crimp.
If you are neck sizing it's possible that some trash,grit, brass shavings or something got inside the collet preventing it from closing completely. Take the die apart and clean the collet. pay particular attention the space between the parts that close to size the neck, It wouldn't take much to make a big difference. If some sizing lube or oil or something got in there that might be all it would take to keep it from operating properly. (this just popped into my head trying to figure this out)

You can check a sized case by trying to manually insert a bullet into it instead of using the seating die to push it in. It should be very snug or difficult to insert the base of a bullet.

Last edited:
You can check a sized case by trying to manually insert a bullet into it instead of using the seating die to push it in. It should be very snug or difficult to insert the base of a bullet.
This sounds like the root of my issue.. Mine are not being sized that tightly.

Take it apart and check the collet. you might get a better understanding of how it works. I hope it's just some debris in there that you can clean out from between the pieces of the collet that squeeze together to size the neck.

Just checked out that die.. Clean as a whistle inside! I am thinking something else is wrong with it. Most of this stuff was brand new, but these dies had a lot of rounds under their belt since the guy was an M1A competition shooter and used .308 heavily.

I doubt he would have been neck sizing for an autoloader. It sounds like for some reason the collet is not closing on the neck.
Are you sure you are putting enough pressure on the press handle? How many times has the brass been fired and trimmed? ( are the necks thick enough)
You may try to lube up some cases and try the full length sizing die.
Lee has pretty darn good customer service. they replaced my broken decapper pin free even though it was my fault.
I believe I'd call them tomorrow and see if they can help you. If you tell them your case necks don't have enough tension to hold the bullet when using the collet die they may be helpful and make some suggestions.
Best of luck and if you figure it out let us know.

I love my collet dies and have a set for each bolt gun caliber. They load very accurate ammo without overworking brass and not having to lube cases is also nice.

Last edited:
Maybe someone closer than I am can come up and give you some hands on instruction. Crushing cases when seating, not sizing properly, and other maladies are definite setup issues. I'd suggest a new thread titled "Onsite Help In The Cleveland Ga. Area."

Knowing how much handloaders like to share, I'd near guarantee someone will step forward. Just a suggestion? There's no replacement for a hands on, on site demo.

After going back through this thread it looks as if you may be trying to resize primed brass without removing the primers? If so, you'd be better off forgetting the primers. They are relatively cheap. Since Lee doesn't have a removable decapping pin, this may be why you aren't getting a tight fit.

If you weren't so far away, I'd be glad to help.

Maybe someone closer than I am can come up and give you some hands on instruction. Crushing cases when seating, not sizing properly, and other maladies are definite setup issues. I'd suggest a new thread titled "Onsite Help In The Cleveland Ga. Area."

Knowing how much handloaders like to share, I'd near guarantee someone will step forward. Just a suggestion? There's no replacement for a hands on, on site demo.

After going back through this thread it looks as if you may be trying to resize primed brass without removing the primers? If so, you'd be better off forgetting the primers. They are relatively cheap. Since Lee doesn't have a removable decapping pin, this may be why you aren't getting a tight fit.

If you weren't so far away, I'd be glad to help.

I might can find some time to help you out in 2 weeks maybe the weekend of the 15th(Sept). I can meet you at the gas station on 115, I can't remember what type they sell but they are across from the parts store. I would be glad to help a fellow reloader!

Thanks again for all the help fellas! I will try a few things when I get home this evening and see what I can do with that resizing die set up. Some on-site help would be great, I'll even come to you!! Want Beer? tell me what kind and how much!
I am available this week, but then I'll be gone on a 6,000 mile trip after the 10th for a few days... Would love to get some hands on, its the only way that I learn..

I'll see what happens tonight and report back, I might change my set up and try to run some 45 ammo to see if its any easier to grasp.

I'm in Cumming, GA ... If you are my way any time let me know.

I still think a couple of pictures sent to LEE would go a long way in deciphering this situation.
One picture right-to-left assembled, another with them disassembled with the parts "stacked" as assembled.

There is an answer and this is part of finding it!

Back
Top Bottom