• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel Truck advice needed...

173   0
Reaction score
ODT,

Need some advice here. Im in need of a diesel truck for heavy towing (F350, 3500HD or Ram3500). Basically a heavy 5th wheel camper (weighs about 18k pounds).

I know nothing of diesels or heavy towing trucks. Something 2018 thru current models.

Need to know:
1) Which ones to avoid
2) Which ones to get

Im not brand loyal. Just looking for dependability.

Thanks!

Stay away from a ford with a 6.0, especially if it’s tuned and deleted and you need a dual rear wheel for a fifth wheel that size, could be done with a single wheel but it will not be as stable. Deleted rams eat transmissions when towing heavy.

My 6.7 Powerstroke was a show stopper. The scorpion (6.7) Powerstroke has proven to be reliable, powerful, and oh my god do they hold there value. Might as well go new since a 2015 with 200k miles will cost you 50k.

From what I’ve seen the Ram is damn near bullet proof as well, plus it’s a Cummins inline 6.

I wouldn’t buy a GM product with someone else’s money, and like Isuzu less than GM. I had a 2005 Duramax dually and it was a giant POS. I swore off GM after that and should have stuck to my guns because the next two GM vehicles I bought were garbage too.

No sense buying used cars right now, the market is so inflated you will pay new prices.

Hunt around for dealerships that are selling at MSRP is your best bet if you can’t wait another 12-24 months.

Stay away from a ford with a 6.0, especially if it’s tuned and deleted and you need a dual rear wheel for a fifth wheel that size, could be done with a single wheel but it will not be as stable. Deleted rams eat transmissions when towing heavy.

2018 through current models he isn’t going to have to worry about the 6.0.

What an amazing wonderful awesome giant piece of crap that turned out to be, but hey at least it’s not a 6.4.

I owned two 6.0s. Bought them brand new and never had an issue. Of course I rolled the first one with 24k miles and sold the second with 38k so I never had them past their prime. At the time they were amazing.

I would never buy a diesel truck out of warranty so if the warranty is expired, I would get an extended warranty. Modern diesels can rack up 20-30k in repairs so the last thing you want is to owe 50 grand on a 9000lb lawn ornament that needs 20k in repairs.

I only know that as mentioned you probably need dual wheels. Have a friend that pulled a heavy 5th wheel that started with single but changed due to no feeling safe while pulling

In late model trucks, you can’t really go wrong with any of the big 3. Stay up on your maintenance, only buy fuel from high turnover stores and add some fuel additive to your tank (I like stanadyne). There are plenty of horror stories, but the majority of these trucks run with no issues beyond normal wear and tear for at least 200-250k.

My 6.7 Powerstroke was a show stopper. The scorpion (6.7) Powerstroke has proven to be reliable, powerful, and oh my god do they hold there value. Might as well go new since a 2015 with 200k miles will cost you 50k.

From what I’ve seen the Ram is damn near bullet proof as well, plus it’s a Cummins inline 6.

I wouldn’t buy a GM product with someone else’s money, and like Isuzu less than GM. I had a 2005 Duramax dually and it was a giant POS. I swore off GM after that and should have stuck to my guns because the next two GM vehicles I bought were garbage too.

No sense buying used cars right now, the market is so inflated you will pay new prices.

Hunt around for dealerships that are selling at MSRP is your best bet if you can’t wait another 12-24 months.

2020+ they are even peppier!

Back
Top Bottom