• Tacos

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

shootin4fun

Default rank 5000+ posts
Veritas Aequitas
187   0
Reaction score
I am in the market for a used 3/4 ton truck. I was wondering what the preference is for you guys.

Ford Powerstroke. 7.3, 6.0, 6.4?

Chevy Duramax 6.6

Dodge Cummins 6.7

What say the ODT crowd of experts?

FYI I’m looking at a “bulletproofed” 6.4 powerstroke in an 08 F250

duramax.. the cummins is by far the best motor,but the durmax is a very close second..the combo of the duramax and Allison is the best on the market. i have a bunch of friends with powerstrokes,and bulletproof them almost annually. my max has over 400k on it and the tranny and still runs and shifts like new. gets 17-18 mpg stop and go and 24ish on the hwy....

Stay away from the 6.4....I had one and dumped money in it every three or four months until I traded in it on my toyota. It was bullet proofed. Had to put a radiator in it every year at $400 every time. The final straw was the high pressure fuel pump....$4-5k to replace it.

I doubt I'll ever own another diesel as a daily driver or work vehicle unless absolutely necessary, the ford ruined me lol.

7.3L Powerstroke
Nuff said !!
he wants to be able to drive it,not keep it at a shop:becky:
duramax/allison I pull 14K 5th wheel and you see more GM products at the campground,Ford second,dodge 3rd
yep
and you can pick up a dodge or ford anyplace..harder to find a used duramax.

225k on my deleted/tuned 2008 duramax- only issue was a blown turbo and that was somewhat self inflicted. If you were going new I'd say f250. If you're going used - duramax/delete/drive.

My brother likes Ford V8 diesel engines in the largest size they come in without special-ordering one. He's had a couple of trucks and full-size vans with big diesel engines, over the last 30 years.

He did all his research in the early 1980s before choosing Ford over other brands, and since then he's been happy with Ford. I don't know that he's kept up on the latest statistics regarding reliability, average cost of repairs and service over a 10-year period, etc. But he says big-block Ford V8 gas or diesel engines are good performers with a long life (he always goes at least 10 years and over 300,000 miles before getting new vehicles). He's happy with his choices.

7.3 was great, not made anymore, had a Amarillo edition in 6.0, loved the truck, motor sucked.
Have a 2012 3500 Cumming’s, been in the shop for regular service and bad batteries. Mine does not have DEF
Never had a duramax, had a 1985 Chevy 6.5nran awesome 369000 miles when I sold it, no maintenance,every 90k just put on a new injector pump

Back
Top Bottom