• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Difference Betwen Whiskey and Bourbon

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
Just found this on the Internet so it must be true. Since I do not imbibe, I found it interesting just as general info. Your mileage may vary. Some of you very experienced members will comment I am sure. Thanks.

Whiskey is a dark distilled spirit made from fermented grains such as rye, corn, wheat, and barley. It is an overarching term for this classification of spirits. Bourbon is a type of whiskey, but it comes with different distinctions and rules. To be classified as bourbon, a whiskey must be made from at least 51% corn, be made in the United States (many whiskeys are made in Scotland or Ireland), be aged in new, charred American white oak barrels, and be at least 80 proof. Bourbon often has a sweeter taste than other whiskeys because it is made from mostly corn.

The notes in the article are correct. Must be a minimum 51% corn in the mash, the rest can be whatever (rye, wheat etc.). Can be more than 51% corn, of course. Most Bourbon is 90+ proof, typically around 93 proof, but you can find many that are 100 proof and more, up to barrel strength at around 120 proof (drink with caution :D).
** All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is Bourbon**

WallsGa WallsGa can give you the rundown as an expert in the business

EDITED: I’m being serious, that’s what he does for a living
Depends on who you ask…….

Bourbon is a TYPE of whiskey.

Whiskey is distilled from any fermented grain mash. Scotch, Irish, Tennessee, Bourbon, American, Japanese, Blended, Unblended, all fall under the ‘Whiskey’ category. All those sub categories have requirements of their own.

Bourbon is specifically 80 proof minimum, no more than 160 proof, made of minimum 51% corn, no more than 80% corn, aged in new, oak container for a time, and there’s requirements about the proof at which it comes off the still into the barrel.

EDIT: oh yeah, and made in the US, though some countries don’t recognize that trademark.

The notes in the article are correct. Must be a minimum 51% corn in the mash, the rest can be whatever (rye, wheat etc.). Can be more than 51% corn, of course. Most Bourbon is 90+ proof, typically around 93 proof, but you can find many that are 100 proof and more, up to barrel strength at around 120 proof (drink with caution :D).
** All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is Bourbon**
Pretty much what he said there……

I thought that the term bourbon could only be used it it was distilled in Kentucky.
I think at one time that was true, not sure, not so much nowadays. Bourbon is made all over. Seems to me it's more about the mash bill and aging in new charred American oak.
also correct. Changed in the late ’70s I think. Still took a long time for a distillery to open outside of KY because it was the only state that could appear on the label for a looong time.

Back
Top Bottom