• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Difference Betwen Whiskey and Bourbon

We did the jack daniels tour the guide said the difference was their whiskey is charcoal filtered. Anyone done a bourbon tour I’d like recommendations

We did the jack daniels tour the guide said the difference was their whiskey is charcoal filtered. Anyone done a bourbon tour I’d like recommendations
Yup, one of the requirements of Tennessee Whiskey is charcoal filtering. Other than that it’s pretty much Bourbon.

I enjoyed my tour at Bulleit and Michter’s. Heard good things about the Angel’s Envy and Maker’s Mark tours, too. Next time i get that way I‘m visiting Buffalo Trace, just because.

Interesting note to the Jack Daniels tour as we were walking from building to building I noticed the trees were black and signs,post,top of tanks were black and you could see it all through the little valley.looked like the trees were burnt. I asked the guide what that was all about and she said the alcohol in the air caused a harmless bacteria to grow on eveything and gave the black color. Oddly enough she said I was first person to ask about it since she had been doing the tours.

Bourbon is anywhere in America, and the recipes posted about 51% are correct. Some fun side notes. American whiskey is spelled differently than overseas, which is whisky.

It has to be aged 2 years but the better stuff is much longer. The amount lost in the cask to evaporation is the Angels Share, and the casks can’t be reused. But they often are for beer/wine/port.

It was the primary spirit of the Appalachian mountains because it was cheaper to transport by wagon than the same caloric value of raw dried corn, and the colonies mostly drank rum and hard apple cider.

It’s also typically distilled in a pot still with potentially a thumper, vs most white liquors being distilled in a continuous column still. That’s why it’s not as high proof as grain spirits like vodka (off the still).

It’s very delicious mixed with ginger ale and I’m having one now.
What happens if you reuse the casks?

What happens if you reuse the casks?
It’s American Whiskey.

Michter’s makes one that ages the distillate in 50% new and 50% once used oak casks. They named it their Unblended American Whiskey to distinguish it from Seagrams’ Blended Whiskey. Even though it’s a bourbon mash bill they can’t call it Bourbon.

Just found this on the Internet so it must be true. Since I do not imbibe, I found it interesting just as general info. Your mileage may vary. Some of you very experienced members will comment I am sure. Thanks.

(many whiskeys are made in Scotland or Ireland)
No whiskeys are made in Scotland .

Bourbon is anywhere in America, and the recipes posted about 51% are correct. Some fun side notes. American whiskey is spelled differently than overseas, which is whisky.

It has to be aged 2 years but the better stuff is much longer. The amount lost in the cask to evaporation is the Angels Share, and the casks can’t be reused. But they often are for beer/wine/port.

It was the primary spirit of the Appalachian mountains because it was cheaper to transport by wagon than the same caloric value of raw dried corn, and the colonies mostly drank rum and hard apple cider.

It’s also typically distilled in a pot still with potentially a thumper, vs most white liquors being distilled in a continuous column still. That’s why it’s not as high proof as grain spirits like vodka (off the still).

It’s very delicious mixed with ginger ale and I’m having one now.
Anything other than neat is an abomination!

I'm doing the Old Forester tour this fall.

Back
Top Bottom