• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

difference in Laminate vs Vinyl plank flooring

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
164   0
Reaction score
pretty self explanatory. i hate my carpet and want to swap it out. havent decided between laminate or vinyl and wondered what folks have tried and what kinda of success they had

Im in the process now of installing 2200’ of lvp. Great stuff. Theres no wood/cork etc so its 100% waterproof and very durable. Water can still get beneath it through the joints but it will not hurt the flooring. I paid $2.75/ft for 9”x5’x8.5 mil boards.

Only tool I bought was a guillotine/brake style shear for $100 on Amazon. But I have been using a sliding miter saw and jobsite table saw for ripping and door jam cuts.

Im in the process now of installing 2200’ of lvp. Great stuff. Theres no wood/cork etc so its 100% waterproof and very durable. Water can still get beneath it through the joints but it will not hurt the flooring. I paid $2.75/ft for 9”x5’ boards.

yah its looking really attractive. i was looking just at laminate as i'd never really looked at these before but they seem like a great alternative and seem even easier to install

We put the vinyl plank in our downstairs play area. We love it. It's very durable and waterproof. It's been in about a year and it looks the same as day one, with 3 boys that don't know how to clean up a spilled drink (mainly my youngest one). I would say it's doing pretty good. Not sure about the test of time though

The VP I put down I scored most of it with a utility knife and popped it. Had to use a skill saw to do the edges and around doors. All in all it was very easy to do. I finished about 700 SQFT in three days after work. That includes tearing up the old and moving the furniture around. I had to move all of the furniture to one side of the room and move it onto the floor as I laid it. That made things a little slower

We looked at both, but the vinyl planks were having issues with the glue holding at the "joints" at the time, so we went with laminate flooring made by DuPont in Cartersville (at the time, this was like 8 years ago) and have been happy with it. I'm sure the vinyl plank glue issue has been solved by now based on the comments above.

We looked at both, but the vinyl planks were having issues with the glue holding at the "joints" at the time, so we went with laminate flooring made by DuPont in Cartersville (at the time, this was like 8 years ago) and have been happy with it. I'm sure the vinyl plank glue issue has been solved by now based on the comments above.

We used the lock together type. No glue involved. It's a floating floor like the laminate. I never even saw a glue together type when we were shopping

The VP I put down I scored most of it with a utility knife and popped it. Had to use a skill saw to do the edges and around doors. All in all it was very easy to do. I finished about 700 SQFT in three days after work. That includes tearing up the old and moving the furniture around. I had to move all of the furniture to one side of the room and move it onto the floor as I laid it. That made things a little slower

Yah the vinyl seems like it may be easier to install but that's just me being lazy. I just wonder in the vinyl can look and feel as good as laminate.

Im in the process now of installing 2200’ of lvp. Great stuff. Theres no wood/cork etc so its 100% waterproof and very durable. Water can still get beneath it through the joints but it will not hurt the flooring. I paid $2.75/ft for 9”x5’x8.5 mil boards.

Only tool I bought was a guillotine/brake style shear for $100 on Amazon. But I have been using a sliding miter saw and jobsite table saw for ripping and door jam cuts.

Hey if that shear you got from Amazon works on Hardie Plank siding, post that puppy up for sale when you're done.

Back
Top Bottom