• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Digital trigger for AR - 1 pound pull with grip safety?

No different than someone illegally converting a mechanical trigger imo. Same crime. Same penalty.

Electronic vs mechanical should make no difference.

That's true, except the ATF is old school. If you can reprogram a part (or have someone in China do it for you) and make a semi into a full-auto, they will look at it as 'easier' to modify than having to do machining on the lower or something. That's probably even true.

That's true, except the ATF is old school. If you can reprogram a part (or have someone in China do it for you) and make a semi into a full-auto, they will look at it as 'easier' to modify than having to do machining on the lower or something. That's probably even true.
Yes. The NFA says somewhere "readily convertible". What makes an Ar not "readily convertible" is the lack of a disconnector. If you were to set this up to use the incorporated timer designed to regulate bolt carrier float as a disconnector. Well there you have it. I don't like the way they do things but my opinions don't keep me out of prison. Abiding the law until it can be made to be more in line with my opinions does. Hopefully though they thought of that. I would probably be more on board if they had nixed the whole release fire altogether. You should be able to get plenty of fire from a 1lb trigger without that fearure. Someone could still monkey with it but they would have to design and add a circuit. Maybe passing the "readily convertible" test.

I think we in the gun loving community could exploit a loophole in the language of the NFA in this manner:

Combine an electronic trigger with electrically-primed ammunition. Primers will be detonated with a zap of electricity, not though mechanical impact with any firing pin.

The electronic trigger would have a long pull, like a double-action revolver. But not so heavy-- maybe only 5 lbs of pressure required.

Take the trigger's arc of travel and divide it up into 3, 4, or 5 segments with a tactile detent or click point as you pull pass that point (or stop there if you want, and if you can relax your finger fast enough).

Make each detent or stop point on the pull a firing point, so that an electronic pulse fires the gun when the trigger reaches that point. If you keep pulling beyond that point, you'll soon reach the next firing point, and the gun shoots again, until you hit the full rearward limit of trigger travel.

You could replicate 3-round burst rates of fire with this. Or maybe 4 or 5 round bursts. Well, actually the rate of fire would depend on how fast your trigger finger pulls rearward, but it would be FAST shooting. People would think you are using a full-auto gun and doing 3-5 round bursts.

I guess I'm old. I don't get the allure. I suppose if you are shooting unregulated matches where you need to pop two in the A box really fast at the staggering distance of 15 - 20 yards, I can see using one. I'd rather have 4 of the Geissele SSA "unbranded" trigger groups (on sale) than one of these. If you are looking to create "suppressive fire" I guess this has some merit. Killjoy - my alter ego.

If I had the money to throw away I could see putting one on one of my low money Ar's just to have a gun to lay down suppressive fire while I sit back and pick the bad guys off one by one. However, since that situation will likely never happen then it's a waste of time and money and ammo. For 500 hunsky you can buy a Keltec Su16 that will fire almost as fast as that depending on how fast your finger will move.

River Bend Gun Club changed their one round per 10 second rule to allow shooters to be more competitive. So I took out the ole Keltec out and gave it all I had. Everybody on that range jumped up and ran down to my bench and started in on the 1 per 10 sec rule, no auto fire rule and everything else you can imagine. I had to take out the rule book and tell everybody to go get the blankety, blank, blank back to their benches. Those guns will shoot so fast it's almost unreal. I would get another one of those before I bought a rickity grip and trigger.

Now watch, I will go out and buy one now that I have seen it. LOL

Full-auto is fun, but not particularly useful. I've tried the various Slide Fire stocks and they were OK, but not really worth the money they charge.

I am also trying one of the Franklin binary triggers, and I like that more than the SF, since it's just an added mode to a regular AR.

I don't think I would ever have a practical use for it, but sometimes being able to run through 30 rounds of cheap steel ammo at full auto speeds is worth it just for fun. It's a heck of a lot more cost effective than trying to buy a real machine gun, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom