• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dilema 357 or 44?

BIKER13

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
Indians wont bother you now cuz you are touched
1345   0
Reaction score
Ok I am getting a new wheel gun.I have narrowed it down to either a 357 or a 44 Special with a 2 inch Barrel.I feel either of these guns will do what is needed just haven't had a lot of experience with em.JWC had a beautiful 44 at the meet BTW thanks Jerry.Any info about recoil and loads will be greatly appreciated.As you know I am on a bike quite a bit and that is the reason for the wheel gun.

Im sure either load in that small of a gun is gonna be a handfull. I've shot both loads but the 44 special was in a smith w 8/3/8 inch barrel...so it wasn't bad. 357 has some recoil in a 2 inch gun...altho the 38 +p aint as bad and very managable. While still having plenty of power to get the job done.

I have both, I know there will be other opinions but I like my 357 the best because 38 ammo does well for range and the magnum loads do what I need them to for personal protection. The 44 special does not seem to have the recoil that the 357 does. Hope that helps.

With full power loads the 44 Special can be a handful in some of the new compact light weight guns. The same goes for the 357, I have shot both and it's just my opinion but it is going to come down to which one you are more comfortable shooting. Shot placement is the key, not bullet diameter. Good luck with your decision

i have a soft spot for 44 spec. but the gotta go 357 due to ammo cost/availability, versatility. the only advantage 44 has to me is that i just like it.lol. both are very effective rounds.

DA or SA is what you need to ask yourself unless both are DA but I would still recommend the .357 because of the wide spread availability of loads and the proven stopping power behind the gun itself. Plus you can shoot .38 spl ammo out of the gun if you wanted for cheap and easy practice. Its up to you in the end this is just my two cents.

Either will be more than enough,just make sure the grip fits your hand comfortably. I find these compact light weight revolvers manageable with a slightly bigger grip.

I own a Taurus 605 .357mag with a 2" barrel that is ultralight. The 357mag load shoots a wicked flame and has some umph in your hand that rattles and it is managable, but dont look for great followup shots. With .38spl +P it is better and has the same energy at short distances as the .357, so I would roll with the .357 just because of ammo availability, recoil in one hand shooting and more manufactors make .357 to suit your needs

I have shot a 2"barrel 357 a lot , quite manageable and follow up shots are better and faster than the 44, depending on which revolver/length and ammo.Plus the 38 and 357 are cheaper and easier to find than 44 special.

Back
Top Bottom