• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dilema 357 or 44?

Just some gee whiz I've learned on 44 ammo....44 special ammo is usually much harder to find than 44 mag and sometimes is actually more expensive, if you can find it. Why not just get a 44mag and have the option of shooting 44 special out of it if you want a big bore, 2" hand cannon?
A 357 is a fine carry peice too though and I would recommend the Ruger SP101 in that caliber.
Recoil is a little hot for either magnum in a small package too. 44 special to me, feels like a 357 mag recoil.

Along the carry while riding theme.....I always carry too when I ride but my choice is a Bersa 380 and I keep an extra mag in my jacket pocket for a total of 15rnds on me. Its small and light weight and goes everywhere with me when riding.

Check out Hornadys ballistic chart (most manufactures have one) 44 SPL doesn't have the energy the .357 does. I like both guns but if I had to chose just one, it would be the .357
X 2 on the SP101 just heavy enough to absorb recoil but all enough to carry. Not to mention built like a tank.

dlsbiker13, it was my pleasure. I carry the .44 special and like others have said, it is difficult to find .44 special with 200 grain or less for my 296ti. Even though I carry the .44 special, if you are asking would I buy a .357 or a .44 special, I would agree with most of the other and say a .357. You have options, can shoot .38's for practice, with that piece that you do not have with the .44. Recoil, in my opinion is virtually the same on my snubbie .44 special and my snubbie .357. I do not feel much if any difference. But that is just me, you could be different. I happen to like the snubbie versions of both guns better than the other options. Again, just my preference. BTW, really enjoyed talking with you at the meet. Hopefully, we can do it again soon. Good luck in finding the piece that fits your needs.

Check out Hornadys ballistic chart (most manufactures have one) 44 SPL doesn't have the energy the .357 does. I like both guns but if I had to chose just one, it would be the .357
X 2 on the SP101 just heavy enough to absorb recoil but all enough to carry. Not to mention built like a tank.

Hi Ken,push comes to shove I might just continue with the Charter Undercover I got from you,like RNC said I might just be jonesing for the cool factor.The 38 is ok and I can shoot one handed with either hand so I might hang with it.The +P's are worrying me though I only keep em in there when I carry not for any practicing.

Back
Top Bottom