• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dilemma .270 135gr Cast Inconsistent Data Available

The only semi-auto I did any significant cast boolit work with was the SKS. My notes show the best load with a cast boolit was only a grain below starting for an FMJ of the same weight (155) and powder (4895).

Of course, 7.62x39 isn't 270 Win when it comes to velocity or pressure. :)

Here's the only cast load shown in Lyman's #46 for 270 Win:

win 270 lyman no 46.jpg

The only semi-auto I did any significant cast boolit work with was the SKS. My notes show the best load with a cast boolit was only a grain below starting for an FMJ of the same weight (155) and powder (4895).

Of course, 7.62x39 isn't 270 Win when it comes to velocity or pressure. :)

Here's the only cast load shown in Lyman's #46 for 270 Win:

View attachment 664750

Holy cow, Unique and Red Dot, lol. Flaming dirt strikes again!

I know this is an old thread but I think I may be able to help.... your very confused it's not so much the data is inconsistent but rather what the person putting the data together was trying to do...... for the most part everyone doing cast bullet loads in full size rifle calibers were putting together reduced loads... cheap cast bullet loads to take small game in their full size rifles without the noise and expense of the full loads.... very few people were ever able to put together full power cast bullet loads except in the large bore lower pressure/ velocity calibers the reason for this was the lubes available. I've been doing the cast bullet thing in .30-06 for fifty years and well remember the shock of reaching that point where the lube and bullet strength fails.... one shot, looked down the bore and the rifling was gone!!! completely filled in with lead.... that's the fun your looking toward to lol .... forget the listed cast bullet loads or at least all that aren't near full power and stay completely away from the pistol powder loads they will never give you what you desire..... instead since your using the newest bullet coatings you have some hope of it working. go to the full power jacketed bullet loads and use the lowest starting load for the rifle powder your using.... I happen to like 3031 but that's just me.... you won't have a pressure issue what your looking for is if the bullet and lube are up to the task.... (do not try using an over-size bullet) you'll know this easy as you'll have awful leading issues..... if this happens then I'd suggest you go to a harder/stronger bullet the alloy your using is on the soft side and I have my doubts it will hold together, and will likely strip the rifling. but you never know til you try. best of luck

Back
Top Bottom