• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillion XL650 depriming issues

I am having problems with my XL650 depriming 9mm brass. It is not pushing the primer out in about 1 in 10 cases. It is a Dillion die with about 7-8k loads through it. Mixed head stamps. It just started all of a sudden. Here is what I have checked:

Die is as far down on shell plate as possible.
Installed new pin in die.
Inside of die is clean.
Checked case length on brass that failed to deprime. None exceed max case length in my reloading manuals.

I have no idea what to do other than purchase a new die and try that.

Any ideas?
I would do exactly what you mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...002023&sprefix=lee+deca&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

These are probably the best bang for your buck, and the only ones I use in my 650.

Pull the decapping pin out and put a little taper on the end of it. If the decapper gets some mileage on it, the tip will flatten out a little and give the spent primer something to grab onto and it won't flick off. As the pin comes out, it'll draw the spent primer back into the case.

This is your answer. You didn't say caliber, but it's a known problem with the .40 s&w decapper. Sharpen the pin a hair, and problem solved. That's what Dillon told me on the phone.

Mine had the problem from the start. It was not wear. Sharpening it fixed it.

I ended up putting a Lee die on it and it works like new. The cases also seem to be resized better with the Lee vs the Dillion die. Will play with the dillion die and keep as spare.

You need to change the decapping pin to a small RCBS headed pin or taper the dillon pin. The dillon decapping pins are larger than RCBS and they will pull the primer back into the casing. I had the same issue until I started tapering the pin so the primer would fall free on the down stroke. I process thousands of 9mm each night with very little problems now.

Back
Top Bottom