• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon 750xl primer issue

redman2006

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
8   0
Reaction score
I am hoping that someone here can help me with this since Dillon is swamped and not returning calls in a timely manner.

My new xl750 was great right out of the box and came as the package for 9 mm and 223. The small rifle primer set up worked perfectly. I swapped out for the large primer setup and it will not feed.

The primers hang up in the magazine. It will drop one here and there if I apply a little downward pressure to the follower or jiggle it a little. It does not work every time. I adjusted the little set screw that controls the travel of the primer slide bar. It did not make a lick of difference. I also replaced the little red plastic tip with no improvement.

I have cleaned the parts, but that is not the issue, as each part works perfectly alone. Primers drop right out ot the tube, primers fit easily in the cup on the primer bar, the little white plunger that blocks the primers from following works fine and allows them to drop when pulled back. The small primer system works perfectly when I reinstall it. When everything is together, there is just something slightly out of alignment that causes the primers to hang.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I saved a long time for a progressive, and I really want to get to loading.

Find a cotton bore brush for a .223 and put some metal polish on it and run it through the primer tube. Nothing abrasive but just polish it. I had same issue and it seemed to clear my issue up on my 650xl. If that don't work get dillon to replace the primer tube and narrow it down.

Maybe primer tube isnt keying into the slot. Try pulling the tube back out and wiggling it till it drops into place.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Had the same issues on my 550.

Turned out to be a couple things. The primer tube was a little out of spec. (It happens) and that little plastic tip on the end of the primer tube was just barely buggered up. That was all it took to keep it from working.

Dillon gave me a new primer tube and a handful of the plastic end pieces. Been fine ever since. That was probably 10+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 650 with the old style Priming system and it has always worked perfectly. I have also owned 550s and have had problems with the 550 system. I can't understand why Dillon ever changed the 750 to use the old syle 550 priming system. Maybe I am missing something. I would like to know why they chenged that on the 750.

I have the 650 with the old style Priming system and it has always worked perfectly. I have also owned 550s and have had problems with the 550 system. I can't understand why Dillon ever changed the 750 to use the old syle 550 priming system. Maybe I am missing something. I would like to know why they chenged that on the 750.
New: cost more, less quality

so the slot is lined up, the plastic tip is seated, and the primers drop freely from the tube when it is out of the black magazine tube. They also drop free when the slide is not in place and I pull the little whit plunger back out of the way. They will not drop when the slide in in place unless there is weight on the follower rod.

I did switch the red tips, and both of them do the same thing.

Last night I adjusted it to the point that a socket over the follower rod would push the rod in just enough to make it drop the primers consistently, but I could never get it to do it with just the rod like the small primer set up does.

The cup accepts the primers perfectly when out of the machine.

I feel like this is a case of tolerance stacking since everything works great as a single component.

I will try the polish. I did clean it with alcohol as instructed, but this is a very distinctive click and drop when I place weight on it as though there is something in there that the primer is hanging on just a little.

The slide has a slight amount of play side to side. It seems to be a touch more then the small primer slide. It is slightly narrow compared to the small primer slide, and I wonder if that is the issue with it.

thanks for all of the suggestions. I spoke with Dillon last night as well. Unfortunately, I was still at work, and they said to call back when I was at the machine. They gave me some ideas, but nothing really panned out.

Back
Top Bottom