• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DILLON 750XL - The new kid on the block

Which reload kit...in your opinion is the best?

• Dillon 650XL

• Dillon 750XL

• Hornady Ammo Plant

• RCBS - Pro Chuckler 7 (you cant beat 7 holes)

• RCBS - Pro Chuckler 5 (if you need more than 5 holes, you have 3 holes too many)

• Single Stage: One at a time. Quality Matters

• Tacos

• Dillons all the way: for all those I missed...Square B, 450 and 550

Results are only viewable after voting.
173   0
Reaction score
I suppose someone has to bring this up. Dillon Precision is out with a new press called the 750XL. From what I can see, the main difference is the primer system. It has a 550b style primer system and does away with the discs and ski jump. I do like the 550 style. It's rather simple and probably more cost effective.

Not sure how I feel about that because I hated the primer discs initially but have gotten very used to it by now. I dont drink the blue kool-aid. I have the Hornady ammo plant and love it as well. The ammo plant, in my opinion, is easier/better for caliber changes.

They kept the change over kits the same as the 650XL. They just call it 650/750. Everything else looks to be the same including the powder measure. There is a mention of a new gen2 case feeder but...cmon now...what was wrong with gen1?

I guess the downside is that 650XL wont be offered for sale going forward. At least from what I can tell

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl750-reloader_8_1_26745.html

I saw this yesterday. I have not looked at in depth, but I would be in for an upgrade to the 650 if they offer it. I can see where the 2 speed case feeder would be beneficial for larger quantities or heavier brass. I need to buy the new trimmer so I can skip a process for my 300blk brass. So glad they did not change the toolheads or caliber kits. That would of soured a lot of peoples stomachs. That's why I like my blue koolaid.

1050 is my favorite but I use the 650 for speed (45 ACP). Mr. Bullet bullet feeder is the thing that tips any progressive over the top in my opinion. 800-1,000 rounds per hour is no problem

I will have to see the new primer system in action before I can decide on a favorite. I went to the 650 from a 550 because of the primer system on the 550, and because the 650, due to its size, is easier to size cases. The only thing that I liked about the 550 primer system was the ability to pull and push the primer bar manually.

The biggest issue with the 650 for me is the shell plate motion being too jerky, and causing powder to spill out of the charged case when it moves to the bullet seating station. There are after market mods, but they just cause other issues. I just rest a finger on the charged case’s mouth as it moves. I am under the impression that the shell plate motion is improved on the 750.

Get a shell plate bearing for the 650. I was having issues as well before installation of it. Runs great now.

It is my understanding that the 750 uses the same primer system as a 550. That’s a no go for me.

Same style as the 550 but larger and more robust. Only problem with the 550 primer setup is that it's in the sizing decaping station and thus gets a lot of primer dirt on it and the arm is not fully supported. The 750 will not suffer from this as it's in a separate station. I'm sure they won't admit it but the primer change will solve the primer chain reaction explosions you see with the 650. Yes i know the majority of folks never have an issue but it only takes a few.

Back
Top Bottom