• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

dillon vs lee dies in 550

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
any thoughts on using dillon dies vs Lee dies in a dillon 550 press? I know you can do it, but I was just curious to hear if anyone has seen any advantage to the dillon dies.

Dillon dies are about $65, Lee about $35 for the 4 die set with factory crimp. I like how dillon and lee both have a separate crimp die vs seating and crimping in one die like most.

specifically looking at 45ACP, just was curious to hear if anyone has used both or likes one over the other for any particular reason.

overall I've been happy wih the lee dies I have now, maybe 3 or 4 calibers, and factory crimp dies for most of the calibers as well. I have had a 550 for a while and they seem to work fine in there but iv'e heard the dillon dies just feed a bit easier (dies are belled more at the bottom so it doesn't have to be exactly centered), and are easier to clean if you are doing more volume reloading.

I'm well pleased with my 4 die Lee Carbide Die Set for .40 S&W.
Every .40 S&W case I load goes through my Wilson Bullet Guage first.
I have found that brass sized by others normally has about a 30%
failure rate (slight bulge at the base) ... Running the "rejects" through my
Lee Decapper / Sizer Die totally eliminates these slight bulges in 95-98% of them.
The remaing 5% go through my Lee Bulge Buster OR are simply thrown away.

not very. easiest thing to do is to pick up either the Lee Reloading guide or the Lyman guide. both have a good detailed step by step process on how to reload. then ask questions, look around on youtube and then give it a shot. it's pretty simple and there's plenty of folks around to help you if you run into any issues. just take it step by step. it's easier IMHO to reload pistol calibers first, then move into rifle stuff. no trimming to length, cleaning is easier, carbide dies (no case lube) etc. etc.

I use a mix on most . I have a 550 and 650 and use Dillon ,Lee ,Redding and Rcbs . I like Redding taper crimp on auto-loader stuff and Lee factory crimp on rifle . Rcbs roll crimp on my big bore wheel guns . The Dillon sizer works better for sizing on both loader for me . Mix and Match works for me

Wish I knew how to do this. . . . Is it difficult to learn how to load?

Reloading is like SCUBA diving: "The safest, most dangerous sport"
It is very safe if you always follow the rules, and is deadly if you don't!

Read, Read, and do some more reading from the many reloading manuals out there.
YouTube also has some really good videos explaining how to use the equipment.
They are a great source of information as most manufacturers of reloading equipment do
a TRULY PITYFUL JOB at explaining how to use their equipment.

Here's an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

Good Luck ... and BE SAFE!

Last edited:
On my 650 I like the Dillon dies due to the bottoms being more belled, like you said. On the 550 I use any dies I have.

Reloading is like SCUBA diving: "The safest, most dangerous sport"
It is very safe if you always follow the rules, and is deadly if you don't!

Read, Read, and do some more reading from the many reloading manuals out there.
YouTube also has some really good videos explaining how to use the equipment.
They are a great source of information as most manufacturers of reloading equipment do
a TRULY PITYFUL JOB at explaining how to use their equipment.

Here's an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

Good Luck ... and BE SAFE!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the link as well.

Back
Top Bottom